SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello, another newb

BrianH

Hello SGL,

yet another newbie, this one residing in the North East of Scotland.

I've loved looking at the moon and stars since I was a kid (MkI eyes at that time and darker skies). On reaching 50 I recently got Binoculars (15x70) from FLO and have been enjoying getting a closer look at Orion and anything else that comes into view (I've bought Turn Left at Orion to give me some clues as to what and where things are).

I'm reading all I can here at SGL just soaking up information .. and restraining myself from buying a telescope too quickly. I'm enjoying the Binoculars, finding my way around and hopefully I'll be in a better position to make an informed decision when I look to buy a telescope.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions later, I'll try to use the Search as much as possible!

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.

Well you are off to a sensible start with putting in some research whilst enjoying the constellations with your binos. There is a lot of toys out there with your name on them but your right about making an informed choice. To that end, don't forget to contact your local astro club/society or even a local observing group (not necessarily one and the same) to participate in one of their observation sessions that most clubs run this time of year. Give you a chance to see the toys in the flesh and to ask questions such as cool down and set up times, mobility (if you need to go to a dark site) and the important but subjective question of eyepieces, as its unlikely that you will be looking through the original ones that came with the kit. Eyepieces can make a difference to the viewing experience so remember to take a pen/pad with you!

Glad you could join and clear skies!

James

Archived