Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Johnny

Johnny Hormone

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okies, well that kind of makes my mind up for me then :) a 150P is the target and then the motors a little later on.

I guess the 150P will last me longer too, so for the difference at the outset it kind of makes sense.

Well, I'll hope that the docs change me from a full leg cast to a lower walking cast on 3rd Jan, and then I can think about getting the scope and actually standing some kind of chance of using it (although with the cloud and rain at the moment I guess I am not missing too much :)).

Cant wait to be looking at things like :saturn:, :jupiter: and :stars: :lol:

One further point before you get out the credit card - dobs are a favourite for observers such as yourself because of their huge aperture. And seeing as portability is a deciding factor - I've heard that even an 8" dob is easier to move than a 6" on an equatorial mount simply because of it's design - no legs sticking out all over the place.

I found that tracking the stars without a motor is quickly learnt and not time consuming. I don't use my motor for observing because it's too much of a bother to polar align.

Consider the portability and of course the extra views, that an 8" dob provides, and weigh up the pros and cons.

HTH

Andrew

Welcome Johnny.

The 150P would be a good choice. I've got the 200 version on an EQ5 and am more than pleased with it, however it does take up a fair bit of space stored in the living room. :)

I've found that since fitting the motors viewing is more pleasurable simply because things stay in view while changing eyepieces or drinking coffee etc.

Give Steve a call, I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.

Welcome to Stargazers Johnny... :)

BTW: I think it was Rolf Harris on Blue Peter with the Stylophone :)

Sir Patrick was there to with his Xylophone :D

I stand corrected :D

I had a Stylophone; mastered the Z Cars theme tune but didn't progress any further :D

BTW did you know that David Bowie first recorded Space Oddity on a stylophone? I must be sad to know stuff like that. :lol:

Andy.

One further point before you get out the credit card - dobs are a favourite for observers such as yourself because of their huge aperture. And seeing as portability is a deciding factor - I've heard that even an 8" dob is easier to move than a 6" on an equatorial mount simply because of it's design - no legs sticking out all over the place.

I found that tracking the stars without a motor is quickly learnt and not time consuming. I don't use my motor for observing because it's too much of a bother to polar align.

Consider the portability and of course the extra views, that an 8" dob provides, and weigh up the pros and cons.

HTH

Andrew

Hehehehe more to think on... Aaaaaargggghhhhh... :lol:

Due to my current laid up state and the fact I'll be in a cast for at least another 6 weeks, I think I am going to put off the fina decision for a couple of weeks, as having a scope and not being able to do anything bar look at the packaging would be very annoying. I think on "reflection" (pardon the pun) it will be the 150P and then adding the motors, but I'll keep a semi open mind for a fortnight.

In the meantime I intend to head out tomorrow and buy a pair of binos and a good book to start working my way around the night sky... weather permitting, since I can manage those whilst on crutches providing they have a strap to go around my neck.

A local telescope shop has some Celestron SkyMaster 15x70's advertised at £70, is this overkill for my current needs or would these last me a while and fill the gap until I am off crutches and scope enabled?

oooooh... and a very happy new year to all of you, many thanks for your help so far and I hope you have a successful 2007 :)

Welcome to the forum and to a fascinating hobby Johnny. No matter what scope you eventually go for, your first views will blow you away. As for the binocs, if they are still available, go for the 10 x 50 Bressers at Lidl for a tenner.

Archived