sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Homemade dew shield

Stryda

I used the thinnest one I could buy to keep weight down. The thickness of the mat is unimportant, it is just the extra length that dose the job, just a long as it is rigid and dark (black is best), that is all you need.

As an addendum, I have a blue one but I lined it with flocking material, as anyone here will tell you...I flock everything!

Edited by sbooder

One other thing I found useful: before cutting the shield to the circumference of your scope, wrap a smaller strip, say 6" wide tightly round the top of your OTA and fix it with tape. Now make your dew-shield so that it fits over the foam-wrapped scope. That makes the shield a bit wider in diameter than the scope: gives you room to get the dust cap on and off without removing the shield, and means there's less danger of shadowing the objective if the shield is not perfectly squarely mounted.

Adrian