Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Well, you gotta start somewhere!

Until my new kit arrives here is my slightly embarrassing first attempt at astrophotography.

It was taken with the kit lens (18-55mm) of an unmodded 450D with no tripod, by hand, in central london and is a single exposure of 13secs.

I'm not ashamed to put this up because I guess we all had to start somewhere - it will hopefully be nice to look back at this very post further down the line when I have something a bit more respectable ;)

Anyway here is the RAW image:

rawk.jpg

rawk.jpg

and a roughly processed and cropped one. It probably wasn't even worth saving through photoshop but it was worth a shot!

processed.jpg

processed.jpg

You must have quite steady hands !

13 seconds hand held is not an easy task. Are you planning on getting a tripod ? Even a sub £5 mini tripod resting on a ledge or wheelie bin can give great results. That 18-55 lens is quite good, I often use mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok....round 2 in my quest for non embarrasing attempts at capturing the skies.

Unfortunately I still have no power extension leading up to my roof so I cant power my mount's motors or set off camera exposures remotely from a laptop just yet (hence the camera wobble type blur when releasing the shutter and all the star streaks).

Anyway here are the processed photos:

moong.jpg

jupiterv.jpg

m42y.jpg

m42closer.jpg

I am quite happy with some of these as they are an improvement on the last set but I have a very long way to go. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived