Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam on a manual

For imaging Jupiter for example, is it possible to use a webcam mounted on a manual newt?

Or, is a goto the correct tool, as we move rather quickly?

If anyone can help, that would be great.

I have access to a workshop with lathes etc, I'm pretty sure I could manufacture a mount for the cam if it's worthwhile.

Also, will any webcam do?

If not, why not?

its possible to take pics with a webcam an dob theres been some posted on this site. and its possible to use a webcam on ra on manual gem. as to webcams not all webcams are ceated equal, i believe that lots of webcams will take pics but the ones which are best have ccd chips erather than cmos. the cd ones are better wiith low light as they don,t prouce as much noise. this is one of the best cheap webacams on the market Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers

for webcams tracking is less important because your taking a movie and stacking the frames into an image.

I got reasonable images using my webcam and manually following saturn around. Often it would be off screen, as I fought my broken mount to keep up but you just choose not to use those frames.

The first spotting of saturn is indeed a special thing. If saturn is ever around while I am out I will make sure I take time to find it. With or without scope, I am often found catching up with my mates while I stared into space. You can tell which one is me because of the big smile on my face ;)

If you do find yourself having trouble tracking you can let objects drift across and then jump in front (using the finder) and let it drift again, recording the entire time. Let the software deal with it afterwards. Often the slow natural drifting produces better results than a badly tracked attempt.

I would like to apologise for my spelling. The problem is my keyboard is on the way out. I sprayed some coffee whilst reading Astro-Baby's post the other day and some of the keys are sticking. I must take this thing apart and give it a good clean.

Archived