Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Been out with my Bins tonight, so wish I ordered my scope earlier last week:( My bins are only cheap but they've given me some lovely views and I'm just really happy and can't wait for my scope ;)

all i can see is cloud line from front to back and left to right.....Northampton!

Clear sky's with me tonight but too busy and committing the sin of not going out when the skys are clear :p

Keep looking out the window shaking my head ;)

Cloudy here too, (again!) I bought a 10" Dobsonian three weeks or so ago and we have only had two clear nights where we are here in Derbyshire.

I had a brief window for viewing at around 6pm. Set the scope up as it was getting dark, aligned it and took a quick look around before going in for some tea. Managed to get a nice view of Jupiter and the Orion Nebula in that brief set up period, but low and behold, when I go check an hour later nothing but cloud! Oh well, at least I got to see those two objects briefly.

I've just got in with a frost-encrusted scope after spending several hours hunting Messier objects. To the south it's been beautifully clear, but the mist is starting to roll in now and the weather station says it's -4C. I've had (for me) quite a good night's viewing. Most unexpected given the way the cloud was building just after sunset.

James

I'm cold now and I think its time to grab some zzzz, I enjoyed tonight though!!!!

Clear Skies everyone

Scott ;)

p.s. the scope mentioned in my sig, hopefully it will arrive next week.

i looked out the window as i went to bed and it was clear as glass...typical!

lets hope the cloud is like it is today..sun shining not a cloud in sight!

I just saw another post that made me laugh it was entitled "the cloudgazers lounge" which about sums up my experience of the hobby so far perfectly...

It cant stay cloudy forever though...

Cloudy here as well, but I should not complain, as I have had a couple of cracking nights. Binoculars are great for catching brief breaks in the clouds. Even when you get your scope, you will use the bins a lot.

Bins will definately still be used for sure, i'm still learning the sky, I saw M35 last night, Andromeda and had a cracking view of the Orion Nebula. Unfortunately I couldn't see Jupiter from my garden at that time, I'll have to get out earlier tonight if its clear. ;)

Hi Methos, glad to read that your enjoying your bins. Looking forward to reading your first report after pointing the 150 at the sky. :p Fingers crossed for you that it will turn up with a box full of clear skies. ;)

Recently the weather for astronomy has been awful any people new to the hobby will be thinking this is useless maybe I should do something else instead. I've found you need extreme patience and when there is a clear night grab it, though usually you'll have a prior engagement that you can't get out off. If you're at home with nothing to do and there is nothing good on tv it will be cloudy, got a wedding to go to or a birthday skies will be clear guaranteed.

It was 100% cloud cover for me too! Had 1 days viewing in the past 2 weeks!

started off early evening clear with good views, then clouded over. Went out again at 11.30pm and had crystal skies until daybreak. Got to make the most , as this week coming is all dismal.Lovely Derbyshire;National street light centre.

i had a lovely night last night too... crystal clear from dusk til about midnight, but i got too cold about 10ish and had to go in.....

When it's clear and I have a prior diner engagement, I often suggest whoever we are visiting if they are interested in an impromptu star party afterwards. Often people are willing to cut the diner a bit short to have a look at the stars. Offering them good quality whisky, port or brandy to fight off the cold also helps:D

Dai I will definitley make a full report when I get "first light" ;). Michael thats a cracking idea, in fact it might open some of my friends eyes, as when I mentioned about getting a scope they immediately thought "Star Trek" or "Star Wars". I hope to show them a planet, and then see what they say then :p