Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow what a night:)

Been out with my Bins tonight, so wish I ordered my scope earlier last week:( My bins are only cheap but they've given me some lovely views and I'm just really happy and can't wait for my scope ;)

I had a brief window for viewing at around 6pm. Set the scope up as it was getting dark, aligned it and took a quick look around before going in for some tea. Managed to get a nice view of Jupiter and the Orion Nebula in that brief set up period, but low and behold, when I go check an hour later nothing but cloud! Oh well, at least I got to see those two objects briefly.

I've just got in with a frost-encrusted scope after spending several hours hunting Messier objects. To the south it's been beautifully clear, but the mist is starting to roll in now and the weather station says it's -4C. I've had (for me) quite a good night's viewing. Most unexpected given the way the cloud was building just after sunset.

James

I'm cold now and I think its time to grab some zzzz, I enjoyed tonight though!!!!

Clear Skies everyone

Scott ;)

p.s. the scope mentioned in my sig, hopefully it will arrive next week.

Bins will definately still be used for sure, i'm still learning the sky, I saw M35 last night, Andromeda and had a cracking view of the Orion Nebula. Unfortunately I couldn't see Jupiter from my garden at that time, I'll have to get out earlier tonight if its clear. ;)

Recently the weather for astronomy has been awful any people new to the hobby will be thinking this is useless maybe I should do something else instead. I've found you need extreme patience and when there is a clear night grab it, though usually you'll have a prior engagement that you can't get out off. If you're at home with nothing to do and there is nothing good on tv it will be cloudy, got a wedding to go to or a birthday skies will be clear guaranteed.

When it's clear and I have a prior diner engagement, I often suggest whoever we are visiting if they are interested in an impromptu star party afterwards. Often people are willing to cut the diner a bit short to have a look at the stars. Offering them good quality whisky, port or brandy to fight off the cold also helps:D

Dai I will definitley make a full report when I get "first light" ;). Michael thats a cracking idea, in fact it might open some of my friends eyes, as when I mentioned about getting a scope they immediately thought "Star Trek" or "Star Wars". I hope to show them a planet, and then see what they say then :p

Archived