Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

dweebostar

3rd galloway starcamp

Nina, one night!!! I've heard of lightweight but one night for christ sake!

Hands clean now? :)

I know Mike, it is bad isn't it. We feel quite guilty actually. We are putting all the blame on Val's unborn bambino. He was telling her he wanted to go home by lying awkwardly and making her really uncomfortable. I don't think she could do 2 nights camping. God knows how long we will last at Kielder :-) Plus we are both at work tomorrow Boo Hoo. We will make up for it once bambino aka Ethan is born, you will not be able to get rid of us.

Were sitting in Mikes caravan drinking wine... beers... etc... you and Val are missed... Glad you came anyway... :)

Hands clean now? :)

You heard then Guy? cheers Mike.

I had to peel three thou of skin to get that glow off me pinkies.

You heard then Guy? cheers Mike.

I had to peel three thou of skin to get that glow off me pinkies.

Lol..... Mikes bend double laughing at that comment... :p guess the jokes on you .. :)

Were having a pyjama party in caravan 1... anyone can bring a bottle :)

total wash out here... wet... warm... even the midges have moved indoors :)

Yep, total washout on Friday and Saturday nights - it rained 18hrs solid from Saturday 12 noon to 6am this morning. Luckily the tent was warm and dry last night, so I was tucked up by 12.30am (a bit earlier than 3.30am the day before - Val and Nina, you are a bad influence, leading me astray like that).

Now home, unpacked and off to get a wedding anniversary card and choccies for my wife (28 years married tomorrow).

I enjoyed the star camp and will be back next year (perhaps for 4 nights).

Tom (the quiet and non-drunken Scot, unlike Pete and Dave, who drank most of my Malt - again!) : ))

Thanks for organising the event Steve. I had a great time & learned a lot (especially from Robbie who helped me with PHD and gave an interesting talk on the Saturday). The location is spot on - good campsite with nice clean facilities. I think I'll be back there before the next Galloway Starcamp!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the kind words - you are extremely welcome. I must say that this kind of helping and being helped is one of my favourite bits of star parties and Galloway seems to be one of the more social ones - everyone mixes.

I am still here - it's now stopped raining and showing signs of giving intermittent clear patched tonight - fingers crossed.

Regards

Rob

What'si t like at Galloway now Robbie? It is 100% cloud up here in Glasgow.

I would be gutted if I had left and it turned out clear in Galloway tonight - but I would also be pleased for You and anyone else who has braved a wet Sunday and stayed.

By the way, who else stayed?

Tom

What'si t like at Galloway now Robbie? It is 100% cloud up here in Glasgow.

I would be gutted if I had left and it turned out clear in Galloway tonight - but I would also be pleased for You and anyone else who has braved a wet Sunday and stayed.

By the way, who else stayed?

Tom

Tom

Just got in Just had 1.5 hrs of observing (Preston)with the Giro and megrez, I mounted on the EQ6 tripod for more stability .. its very simple and intuitive to use... cheers mate..

Special thanks to Mike and Rob for the caravan to chill out in and keep dry, plenty of tea and something to eat.. very kind of you..

Thanks everyone else and congrats Robbie on the speech in the pub on Saturday... learned a few more things ..

Jef .... Saturday night was hilarious .. tittered all the way home today.. :(

Steve & Mike .. great venue ... I'll be back :)

Karen and I are back home and back to normality! We had a great weekend, many thanks Steve for organising, the campsite and facilities were top notch! Great location, being able to see the milky way from one horizon to the other was a fantastic and memorable sight, the best I have yet seen!

And thanks to all of our new friends who made this star camp so friendly and sociable! See you at Kielder or back at Galloway next November (if not hopefully before!).

N&K

Just beginning to pack up here on the Monday morning after another excellent star camp - many many thanks steve and mike for setting it all up. A brilliant time was had by all yet again.

Sunday night didn't really clear but we did manage to see some objects through a few cloud holes before tiredness won at about 3.

Just a few of the diehards stayed including Richard, jeff, mike steve john and myself plus a couple of others.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again next time or at kielder maybe.

Regards

Rob

Just like to thank Steve and Mike for organising a great Star Camp and Lesley for having a fantastic site.

Skies were great on the Wed' & Thurs', bit ''dewy'' but boy, was that MW a site to behold. A Winter sky there must be awesome without clouds.

Was a pleasure meeting new and old friends. Fully intend to get to the next one.

Great banter from our neighbours Steve and Tony, great equipment advice from John ( Astrodev') , Mike ( veracocha ) did a great impression of an Aborigine ! Steve F, yer were lucky on Sat' morning, oh the pain the pain, G/L against France. Tom , we saved your bottle of G'Fiddach for you , honest, but it ''apparently'' ran off with a bottle of Ouzo in the wee sma' hours, strange noises were heard in the horse field I believe.

Geff , thanks for the look at your AT ( steady folks, its a mount ! ), got me thinking now.

Pleasure as always being in Mike and Robbie's company, that caravan will need a reinforced floor Mike, amount of gear you guys get to a SP is impressive !

Coco and Rob , great seeing you guys again, next time we will sink a couple of halfs with you.

Nina and Val, really nice seeing you two again, pity you had to leave but I understand and look forward to seeing you both at Cumbria 4. Sorry for the scare you got on Sat' morning Nina, a mad Scot walking in boxer shorts at 0700 am to the showers, that may need councelling !!!

My mate David, well done on breaking the Galloway Seismic Disturbence record, way too go bud, Galloway is a quarter mile closer to Ireland now.

Ian, mate you play a mean set o' pipes there my friend, was an absolute joy to meet you and be in your company. Great humour and cooking ! I only ask that you use that tent pole with more pressure on David, lol ( for that snoring folks , the snoring ! )

Ok I wittered long enough here. Thanks everyone for making a great Star Party !

Clear Skies

Pete

Had a great time at Galloway with Iain and Pete. Wednesday was really clear although very dewy which caused quite a few power problems. Saw some great skies on Thursday around 4am but was not quite capable of doing anything about it shocked.gif. Met some new friends and old ones, great to see them all. Left on Sunday as gear was really soggy and liver needed a restgrin.gif.

Steve and Mike made it a great event with the talks etc. Very informative Robbie thouroughly enjoyed it.

Pete's snoring was troublesome:BangHead: although I snored a tad also :):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

David

Pete's snoring was troublesome:BangHead: although I snored a tad also :(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

David

You snored "a tad" did you David ....... You woke me up and I was 30 yards away :)

I must remember to pitch my tent further away next time :)

Tom

Pete's snoring was troublesome:BangHead: although I snored a tad also :):D:D:D:D:D:D:DDavid

'You little liar David' ! ( in a Bobby Ball accent )

Listen folks , oor David here is the only human on the Planet that can snore in B flat orally and attain F# flatuently in a sleeping bag, at the same time. :)

Those Polish Beans were awesome eating , not so sure about their latent thermal ability mind you , David.:(

You forget I have witnesses , Iain, Steve, Tony, Tom, John, Mike, Alex and Jane ( Kirkinner Inn ) and some guy from Gallway wants compensating , says his hens stopped laying.:D

I could cite more mate there's no enough bandwidth.

Pete

Hi all..... just finished unpacking, and putting scope,s back in the obbsy, and you guessed it folk,s it's clear, with clear spell,s forcast tonight :(, 1 day too late.

Thanks to all who attended, we had a couple of clear nights.

It was great meeting old and new freind,s:hello2::):hello2:.

Thank,s to thoose who came at the weekend, even though the forcast was pant,s, ( that makes it easier to keep going and arrange a starcamp next year when attendance is good)

Cheers for all the coments and feedback, it help,s plan the event.

kielder next for me, just the old trafford play off grand final first though.

come on the rhino,s

Wont mention the other game of rugby i enjoyed at the weekend:eek::)

cheers steve

Edited by dweebostar

Sounds like I missed an absolute pearler of a social event, even if there wasn't much astronomy to be done.

Gutted I missed it, but didn't have much choice. Next time maybe.

Glad you all kept your spirits up though!

Alan

Wont mention the other game of rugby i enjoyed at the weekend:eek::)

cheers steve

Hurrumph! Hear that grinding sound Steve? ..... that is my, Pete's, David's and Ian's teeth. "We was robbed".

Tom

Hi All safely back,great time once again.

Abig thankyou Steve and Mike,and all attendees for a great Starparty.

A Special thankyou to Lesley and Ralph who host the event,and keep such a clean and friendly campsite,keep up the good work!!!!

Great to see the site full and everyone having a great time,despite the mediocre weather.

Thanks to Robbie for a wonderful talk on Saturday,proffesional and with enthusiasm it gave an insight into the black arts,just what the doctor ordered,well done!

Here`s hoping next years event is an even bigger sucess,well done everyone.

It was great to meet up with friends old and new,see you all nextyear

ATB

Mike

hi Steve et al,

Arrived back in Watford at 18:10 last night safe and certified mad. It was a trip of only 400 miles back owing to an accident on M1 between J21 and J20.

Well,....... I really enjoyed the company and meeting up with SGL6 colleagues Steve and Mike.

The facilities at the campsite are good and spotless, Lesley is a brilliant host and Maggie the lab is friendly and a well mannered dog.

What did I learn:

a) The sky is dark there;

:) The Milkly Way does exist;

c) Some red lights are brighter than others;

d) The dew there is as the same as a heavy rain shower here!!!

e) You learn a lot about the hobby;

f) Perception can be faulty... Tom a non-drinker, Dave hates the stuff;

h) Long suffering Pete...... there is a place in Heaven reserved for you mate!

i) Was it the vibrations from the Guiness pump at the Inn that was shaking the scopes?

By thw way, Jupiter is the only bright thing in the sky here, in Galloway it is surrounded by strange stars.

A big thanks to yourself and Mike for the effort in organising a memorable time in the wilds of SW Scotland.

I hope to ma!ke the pilgrimage again next year.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Condon

Many thanks to Steve & Mike for a great Star Camp on an excellent site, shame about the weather.

Thanks also to Mike and Rob for their hospitality, and to Pete and Dave for their company and their opinions etc of the malt that I took, and I've still got some left.

:)

I will definitely be back.

Hi All

Geoff here from Dunfermline. had a great time am preparing Blog at the moment and also readers scopes page LOL

Thanks for all your kindness at galloway I miss you all already -sigh-

Finally on SGL and my first post

Geoff:icon_eek:

Adding my thanks to Steve, Mike, Lesley and Ralph.

Really great place.

Richard