SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3rd galloway starcamp

hi all, latest news.

it is raining, but the site has superb drainage, it is stoney gravel a few inches down so holds up well, it is flatt and has special matting where you enter. so dont worry, the other year we had a load of rain but we were ok.

our main speaker, robert lomas has let us down, so new arragements for saturday are as follows.

meet in pub, 1ish on saturday. there will be astrodevelopments trading there astro stuff there, informal chat, then kieth muirs talk on the dark sky park at 2 ish, we may have another astro quiz after,

the weather is looking promising although a little windy,

lots of new faces this time, so looking forward to meeting you all, and if we get some clear skies, i am sure you will be impressed.

cheers all

steve

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mike, connected by dongle,speeds varying 53kbs--256kbs

Tom, your more than welcome to have your fix,

It`s so inky dark it`s hard to believe there`s any clouds,a huge difference to the orange glow of Newcastle,

Gear at the ready,ever hopeful,stopped raining,wind still gusting,

ATB

Mike

Eeeee! This is getting exciting noo ! Wife hate's me ( whats new there ! ) as I have a load of kit all over the living room. Made a check list of gear , don't wanna repeat of Longtown ( muppet hear forgot the counter weight bar AND weights , oh the shame of it .

Done a mod on the filter of the 300D yesterday, seems to have worked out ok. Canny wait to try it on some dark sky.

The weather does indeed seem to be going to play ball for us. David and I should be there anytime from lunch onwards, unless we find a distillery !

Looking forward to seeing some old faces and meeting new ones, if there's a body to go with the face, then thats even better. :-)

Clear Skies

Pete

Really up for this Tom, would like to know what the numbers are looking like though?

hi there, looking forward to meeting all the newbies, and old hats again.

latest is 31 pitches, and 2 static caravans, may get more with the forecast looking good. only non electric pitches left though.

was at site thisevening and all is looking good.

cheers steve

Gear assembled in hall, wife not talking to me noo! Awaiting a package from Andy ( Astronomiser ) thought it would be here by now, must call and find out . We have a leccy pitch but will bring a couple of leisure batts as well. Also packed the camper bed for Mike. Car loaded tomorrow morn' , meet up with Wackyscot at 1100 and were off !

Clear Skies

Pete

Had a cracking first night - arrived in glorious sunshine and stayed clear till about 2 30.

Got some basic images but really was about getting the kit all set up, tested and working and being social.

Nice to see a mix of old friends and new ones - fingers crossed for continuing good weather.

Regards

Rob

Lo Rob

Can you organise some clear skies for tomorrow night :p

Yes Rob, please organise clear weather for Friday night :)

I will be down early/mid afternoon and will be followed by Nina and Val about 8pm.

Just thinking of all the packing to be done tomorrow morning before I set off at about 11am.

Tom

I'm sorry to have to say that I'm afraid I've had to pull out of this

due to still not feeling all that well.

I hope everyone has a great time and the weather clears up

for everyone there.

I know the skies won't disappoint (if the weather plays ball).

Kathleen

650 mile round trip, just got home. It feels like I have just steped of a plane having arrived on the continent for a summer holiday. Great to see some old faces and meet some new ones but oh so disappointed with the weather/skies. First night was glorious but from then on all downhill. Learnt a bit form the other guys so will put it into practice tonight.

I know Mike, it is bad isn't it. We feel quite guilty actually. We are putting all the blame on Val's unborn bambino. He was telling her he wanted to go home by lying awkwardly and making her really uncomfortable. I don't think she could do 2 nights camping. God knows how long we will last at Kielder :-) Plus we are both at work tomorrow Boo Hoo. We will make up for it once bambino aka Ethan is born, you will not be able to get rid of us.

Archived