Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3rd galloway starcamp

hi all. i was going through the bookings today, and i noticed that one of the static caravan's is unused on the wed and thurs nights. it is a 6 berth very modern ,and is £40 a night . i may be of interest to someone who has no tent or caravan, or has missed out on the electric pitches and wants to attend the camp.

see all soon.

cheers steve

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

Just to remind the gazers that it is only a fortnight to the event.

I have had a look at a weather forecast for the Dumfries area.

Rain is predicted for the next week, but nothing yet for the 28th.

Surely the bad weather must stop soon.

Looking forward to meeting up.

Stocking up on cuppa soups, jaffa cakes and thermal gear.

Cheers

Adrian

A week to go and just checking to see who's going (is there a list?). Thinking of taking a push-bike with me so I can get away from the car for a few days, are there some decent forestry to cycle through close by? looks like it from Google maps.

Hi,

For keen bikers there is Galloway Forest Park about 15 to 20 miles north of the camp site.

try Forestry Commission - Galloway Forest Park

The alternative is the coastal lanes and byeways. Can be very good on a clear day.

One of the weather sites I looked at yesterday had the weather improving as the week went on. Generally, sunshine and showers, I found that the weather near the sea is better than further inland.

Anyway, does anybody know if wifi will be available there?

Cheers

Adrian

Finally unpacked and erected my new Vango Icarus 500 (5 man tent). It took me an hour from reading the instructions to lying back on a nice comfy mattress inside the tent. The tent was pretty straight-forward to erect, it just took some time to set out all the guy ropes etc. - should be quicker next time. Lots of room in it for sleeping (it is meant to take 5 after all - although that is pushing it - it should be very roomy for up to 3 people) and lots of room in the outer area - I have set up two folding chairs and a small table. Very comfy.

Just need to compile a list of astro kit to take, probably:

LX90 (8"SCT), Solarmax 60, small refractor + white light filter, Skytee & Berlebach, binoc's, eyepieces, powertanks.

Also, camera, clothes, sleeping bag & blanket (pillow would be nice too), book to read, vino and some beer.

What have I forgotton?

See you Friday late afternoon.

Tom

Set up the tent in my back garden by 1:30pm. It started raining about 1:45pm - hmm, do I take it down now or hope this drizzle dies out and it dries for a tea-time pack-up. och, leave it and go to the Gym - pack it up later.

3 hours of rain later ........ tent still erected in back garden, rain tipping down : ( Oh well, at least I am testing it out in poor weather. It can always stay up all night and come down tomorrow.

Almost tempted to try sleeping in it tonight ...... must remember to forget that idea and grow up beyond an excited 14 years of age : )

See you Friday - save me a dram David/Pete. Not sure what one I will bring this time.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Good to hear that you got the tent up and did a water test!

The tent should be ok over night, but in south east England we have had heavy dew the last few nights.

Given a sunny day, the tent should dry out. The chances are that the groundsheet will be damp, so leaving it over the back of a chair for a day or two and it will dry out naturally.

Don't put it on a radiator....

I hope to arrive latish Wednesday afternoon, if I am around on Friday when you arrive, I am willing to help if requited. I will be in an Outwell 4 man tent.

Have a safe trip. See you Friday.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Robbie ,despite leaving in bright sunshine turned left at Gretna and the clouds found us, arrived on site early afternoon site in tiptop condition ,rafts not required ----yet lol.

Lesley said we missed a crackin night last night,torrential rain as we speak with breaks in clouds,wind gusting strength 5 .

Just finished sunday lunch first bottle already open.

Hi Tom, no site not prone to flooding,last year scotland as a whole had heavy rains,and the entrance/exit to field got a bit muddy,how did ya tent test turnout?

ATB

Mike

Hi Mike,

The tent is holding up fine after 7 hours of a mix of drizzle and heavy rain. So i amn't complaining. (Although I may run out and buy a second separate groundsheet for it.) I will leave it out in the back garden overnight and see how it is in the morning. The forecast here is for dry weather tomorrow morning, so will let the tent dry in situ (a bit) then hang up in the back room for the next few days.

I will pack on Friday AM and be down to Galloway between 4 and 5pm on Friday.

I will travel a bit lighter this time and pack an 8" SCT rather than the 14" GOTO Dob - so i will need my "aperture fix" through your 15" Obsession Dob. :p

See you there.

Tom

Archived