Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3rd galloway starcamp

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Mike you will love it ! Great run spotlessly clean campsite,crackin pub and proper dark skies to boot,oh and a well run starcamp:hello2:

Look forward to seein ya there,you going to cumbria 3?

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, just about to give Nina a nudge to see if she has a spot left for me. All being well I'll see you there too :)

Not long to go now, Karen and I really looking forward to it... I'll be bringing my golf bats ;0)

looking forward to seeing you both.:D

calling all campers my local golf course is handy. bring your bat's, the more the merrier :).

seem's like quite a few new face's coming this year, which is great.

cheers steve

Hi,

Just booked for the 5 days and paid the deposit.

The RAC route planner reckons it is only 375.03 miles...... some 5 hours 40 minutes and 34 seconds.

I was up at Annan two weeks back and it took me 6 hours to do 316 miles back home.

Glad to hear that the local pub does Guinness.

So will be glad to meet up and enjoy the beautiful clear dark nights.

Cheers

Adrian

hi all.

Glad you are comming adrian, We will be playing at the local course which is Wigtown & Bladnoch golf club. an inland 9 hole club.

I have noticed a few new folk are comming this year, which is great as all welcome, the more the merrier, but need to say . If you are traveling from gretna on the a75, some satnav settings will try and take you of the 75 and over the a712, this is a bad road, it may be more direct as the crow fly's but takes longer and is pants for towing caravan's etc. so stay on THE A 75 to Newton Stewart.

we are having a main day on the saturday in kirkinner village hall, astrodevelopments will have a trade stand, and there will be a couple of speakers.

Kieth muir, from the forestery commision scotland will give a talk on

Setting up and maintaining a dark sky park.

More details to follow.

cheers steve & mike

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.

I might bring my clubs if I can fit them in the car with the rest of astro gear and Jaffa Cakes!!!

So I assume the golf will be on Thursday or Friday............

It will be interesting to hear about the Forest Dark Sky park....and from AstoDevelopments on the Saturday.

As a keen mountain walker, I once got temporarily mis-located on Merrick

and finally came off the mountain at 20:00 in the dark of a late October night.

Anyway, looking forward to meeting up.

Cheers

Adrian

Evening - Looking forward to this right now - despite the continuous cloud cover in Northumberland since sunsets started getting realistic again! Which brings me on to a logistics question ..

Small tent can be pitched in 5 minutes by feel but no social space .. big tent takes 30 minutes but means mucho comfort and fry-ups ..

The lad gets out of school at 3 - best ETA is 18.30 and sunset is 18.50 (ish). What's the red light rules/ conditions likely to be up to say 20:00 on Friday? (I'm not familiar with the site - not on hook-up)

ta

R

Not been to Galloway Star Party before but my advice would be:-

As big a tent as possible, you need to be comfortable and it's not just somewhere to kip. Having the privelidge of others visit your "space" is a bonus.

I expect it's pretty relaxed on arrival times as at that time of year there's a good few hours to go at so expect you would get a warm(ish) welcome whatever the time.

Hi Mike (Verracocha), Having seen your tent at Cumbria SP over last weekend, I rushed out and bought a Vango 500 + awning + heater + two chairs and a table, all for Galloway. Oh, and am getting those ground mat thingies you had below your mattress to keep the ground-cold out.

You are right, having some space is important, especially if the weather is cold/poor. So I now have a 5-person tent, that should do okay for two people : )

Cheers

Tom

I am sure we will get you set up and sorted robsay. it takes a while for it to get proper dark, so we will have a bit of time to get sorted before people start there astronomy seriously. a good red led headlight comes in handy. duracell energizer seem good.

cheers steve

You might also need to get either a trolly to move the base around, or a truss. It is VERY heavy. On the limit of what I can lift any distance. Still, it is worth it for the views you get. Remember they also do a 16"

Tom

Noted Tom, 14" is my limit with a Ford Focus.

Hi Tom,

I assume that you are newish to camping............

If you have a 5-person tent, I would recommend that you consider a camp bed to lift you off the ground.

Superlight Camp Bed | Gelert

There are other makes of bed, but price wise these are good value.

I put a foam mat on the bed. I also have a Thermarest which makes for a comfortable night.

Airbeds while very comfortable tend to be cold because the trapped air is cold plus some of them are very bulky.

Plus, it is easier to get off the bed than the floor in the morning, especially when you get to my age!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be bringing my Outwell Trout Farm 4 tent.

You are welcome to drop in for a coffee and a Jaffa Cake.

Oh, remember the more camping gear you have the less room there will be for your Astro gear.............

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Adrian

Cheers Adrian,

yes I only camp when I have to. I used to have a one man tent (for munro bagging). I hated it, simply too small. Then went to a two man, that is much better and I cope with 1-2 nights in it. But Mike's 5 man was sooo palatial.

I will look into the camp bed and thermarest, but don't want to limit my astro kit unduly.

Thanks for the invite re coffee and jaffa cakes - better bring catering sized packs of them : ))

Cheers

Tom

Archived