740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

nikon or canon

Raz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use this with a wireless remote for bulb setting, captures direct to disk.

Hi,

Just talking with a photography friend and he says the software does not allow the camera to use it on bulb setting.

Would be grateful if you could let us know how you do it and with what remote.

Best regards

Chris

I use a Nikon MC-36 timer remote for my D200 but there are loads of cheap chinese clones of it... I was lucky enough to get a sealed copy of Nikon Camera Control Pro in a box of "Junk" at an auction for £10 soem of the other junk inth box include a brand new Nextstar handset for the GT mount - since reflashed as a spare for my CPC800 ;)

Edited by Psychobilly

Personally I've always been a Canon user since the mid 70's and couldn't afford to switch to Nikon even if i wanted too lol.

Starting from scratch I think I would still stay with Canon as the remote software available is significantly better than the Nikon support and you get proper bulb control over 30 seconds. Even without the need for decent remote software I still prefer the feel of the Canon bodies BUT other than the feel there is little to separate Canon from Nikon

Hi peeps,

I am a total newbie, and i want to start taking pictures of the night sky, you probably had this question before, but i want to invest in a dslr but what shall go for, i hear canon are better at Astrophotography,

My initial choice is the Nikon d7000.

Thanks

Raz

Nikon is optimized to enhance colors in the daylight photography, Canon do better in reducing noise at night so I should buy better for astrophotography Nikon D7000 and seek amended charge of second hand .para single body astrophotography. Greetings

Edited by musasi

I have sentimental attachment to Nikon from film days, but I'm totally unsatisfied with their DSLR's. When I evaluated them (hands on) against Canon last month (I've been following progress for about 8 years), I found the Canon was currently better. I still find shutter lag a problem, especially with Nikon. Also, with less than full frame sensors, everything changes with the lenses. The classic 17-35, 50 1.4, 85 1.4 and 200 f2 aren't the same anymore. I'm not impressed with the new lenses.

I'm happy with my compact digital "leica" but if I go serious about photography I would go pass on both Nikon and Canon and get an M9 and lenses. An M9 should be awesome with a good apochromatic telescope like a Tele Vue, Takahashi, A-P, or WO.

I really know nothing about CCD AP so I can't advise on the considerable alternatives to terrestrial photography systems.

For AP, I would consider specifics in detail.

Edited by BenM

Hi,

Just talking with a photography friend and he says the software does not allow the camera to use it on bulb setting.

Would be grateful if you could let us know how you do it and with what remote.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris

It is a manual operation as such.

I'm using a D80 and a Twin1 Seculine Twin1 R2-UT Wire and Wireless Remote Shutter Controller

To get subs longer than 30secs I just select the settings in the software (along the bottom window) select bulb in Shutter options. I then use the remote wireless to trigger the shutter. I use the timer on my iPhone Starmap Pro app . Once I close the shutter it dumps the Sub into Sofortbild. So opening and closing the shutter is by wireless remote timed by me but all Subs are dumped straight into Sofortbild.

Is that what you meant?

Graham

I must admit I went down the Nikon route before I ever thought about trying Astro Photography. I too remembered fondly the film days. I still prefer the feel of the Nikon in the hand as opposed to Cannon. I much prefer the layout and when trying out the Cannon 1000D and 5000 the other week I was fumbling all over the place.

However, for Astro work that isn't as much of an issue as you're not holding it.. it's controlled remotely. There is a lot more support for Cannons in Astro so I am still in 2 minds about going down the Cannon route for Astro if I don't sell an organ or 2 for a CCD. ;)

Mind you the D700 came out on top in the Jan issue of Sky at Night shoot out!

All is not lost for Nikon owners, it has been always been said that Nikon were star eaters and as such no use for astro work. While it is true that Canon have the upper hand in ease of use and lower noise, Nikon were not so far behind, just not many tried to use them. Have a look at this site and down the bottom there are Canon and Nikon cameras listed with links to deep field images taken by them.

Nikon vs Canon DSLR Cameras for Astrophotography

Archie

Edited by Naz

Hi Chris

I'm using a D80 and a Twin1 Seculine Twin1 R2-UT Wire and Wireless Remote Shutter Controller

To get subs longer than 30secs I just select the settings in the software (along the bottom window) select bulb in Shutter options. I then use the remote wireless to trigger the shutter. I use the timer on my iPhone Starmap Pro app . Once I close the shutter it dumps the Sub into Sofortbild. So opening and closing the shutter is by wireless remote timed by me but all Subs are dumped straight into Sofortbild.

Is that what you meant?

Graham

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for your input.

Makes sense to me, but I have not seen the software yet. Have posted on the other forum.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Is that what you meant?

Graham

A lot of stacking software won't handle subs and darks with differing exposure lengths so manually timing the exposure is likely to cause you problems.

There's not much to choose between these two great brands...I went for Canon because of my interest in Macro and partly because my first proper camera (I'm not counting the fujica with the broken light meter) was the classic AE-1.

When I went digital I already had a few nice lenses so decided to keep with canon. But then I almost decided to sell it all and switch to Nikon because a friend and I thought we could pool our lenses and he's a Nikon fan. I compared the D3x and the 5DmkII and bang for buck the 5D won hands down.

Nikon may be considered the best, but unless you're going to earn money from it I'd go canon every time....and I do still get a few quid now and then....;)

Btw, for Astro the 5D creates annoyingly large files that DSS just doesn't seem to handle well...any solutions welcomed!

Michael

A lot of stacking software won't handle subs and darks with differing exposure lengths so manually timing the exposure is likely to cause you problems.

Well I'm still early days with this (currently compiling a shopping list for an imaging friendly scope, mount and autoguider) but as jgs001 says DSS seems to take unmatched.

. I compared the D3x and the 5DmkII and bang for buck the 5D won hands down.

Hi Michael

Totally the wrong comparison I'm afraid. The 5DmkII is a direct comparison to the D700 which is a few down the Nikon line!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Michael

Totally the wrong comparison I'm afraid. The 5DmkII is a direct comparison to the D700 which is a few down the Nikon line!

Best regards

Chris

As is the 5D!

Sorry tired brain....but form factor aside (vertical grip etc) I'd place the spec close to the D3x than the 700, and cheaper than both... And almost twice the MP (although that's an area where size doesn't necessarily mattress much as you'd think)

Still all great cameras....but I'm thinking about s smaller (lighter) dslr now to make file handling easier until I jump to CCDs...

Must sleep now. 5am start!

Had same decision, went for Canon because....

1. Can get a cheap cable release, IR remotes on the front of the camera no good (on cheaper cameras).

2. Shortest mount (flange) to "film" plane distance, Nikon is one of the longest and can't infinity focus on many non nikon lenses. I have a lot of old (but very good) lenses I wanted to use and also wanted the little extra flexibility on focus on the scope. Also, the EOS mount is very very wide, wider than M42, wider than a lot of bayonets. And there are many adapters for a lot of lenses.

3. Canon software like live view is free.

Not biased and was going to get a Nikon but... the Canon EOS mount seems to have been designed around flexibility, the Nikon to be difficult? Nikon lenses can be fitted to an EOS as can M42, contax Leica, Minolta, Ricoh and Pentax k, etc, all pretty cheap these days.

All i'll say on the never ending Canon v Nikon debate is,everyone has their favourite and some will defend their brand to the hilt,no matter what so its like asking a diehard Rangers fan to give an honest unbiased opinion of Celtic.

I find it all way too techie for my limited knowledge and ability and prefer to look at it this way.

Its not what you've got but what you do with it that matters.

..........................................................dives for cover.:)

PS. I have a Canon 5DMKII (rubbish...........says Mr Nikon)

Edited by saturn5

We use Canon - mainly because my first SLR was Canon! However, some things to consider are that Canon lenses are (mostly) cheaper than Nikon (can be a consideration) and the EOS mount is superior to the Nikon system. Canon do have a very good video functionality on the newer DSLRs (much better than the Nikon implementation ATM). Low light sensitivity is pretty equal (on the pro models). Basically the low end Canon DSLR is probably slightly superior to the low end Nikon. At the high end, Canon & Nikon are pretty equal, so there's really not much (barring ergonomics & cost) to decide between - unless you want to shoot video with your SLR!

I'd suggest POTN for very good reviews of the Canon range.