Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP PLEASE EXPLORER 130

Hi,

Last weekend we purchased the skywatcher explorer 130pm and attempted to set it up as per the manufactures instructions but it just deos not feel right. The mount wobbles and I thought the whole point of the mount was to keep it steady. Does anyone know of a u tube tutorial or any other help ?

there's nothing wrong with the tube but with the mount not working right, I'm finding it really tricky to align the scope with anything so I can't align the red light thingy. Without that it's impossible to see anything- argggggggh was really excited about getting it but now need some help

Thanks

When you say the mount "wobbles" it is difficult to know what you mean. Have you attached the eyepiece tray? Can make a difference to the general stability. They are not going to be so stable that you could stand on them to do your decorating but the mount should be fairly firm.

James

Sorry, I think it is more the way we are setting it up with the counter balance to be honest.

My partner wrote the last post.

She (Val) is an expert @ manuals, where as me (Ian) am better learning "parret fashion".

We live in the north west (uk) and I personally would love some one to show us where we are going wrong.

The videoing it is a good idea, we'll do that if we get time.

Cheers

Ian

Ian - it's probably a good idea to join a local astro soc and take your scope to the first session. Someone will be sure to help you set it up and give a practical demo. Failing that there may be someone on SGL that lives close, or check the Communities/Social groups at the top of the page for a group near to you ;)

Hi there.... all I can suggest is to re-check and make sure all nuts n bolts are tight tight, especially the fixings where the tripod legs attach to the mount head, also, as earlier mentioned, the eyepiece tray needs to be fitted as it aids stability...

Good luck...

What mount is it ? Is it the EQ2 ?

The EQ2 is not hugely stable BUT it should handle a 130 with ease. Most mounts dont hold the telescope in a concrete like grip and theres always some movement of the scope is roughly handled. This usually shows in adjusting focu or the slo motion controls. You need to be very gentle with it.

It could be something is amis though so do let us know.

Hi there.... all I can suggest is to re-check and make sure all nuts n bolts are tight tight, especially the fixings where the tripod legs attach to the mount head, also, as earlier mentioned, the eyepiece tray needs to be fitted as it aids stability...

Good luck...

I second this. read the instructions, tighten what needs tightening, and make sure what need to be slack is slack. Balance the scope and weight.

Set it up on a grassy area or solid concrete, decking etc flexes and moves the scope. I have a 130P and it doesn't wobble.

Archived