sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

The best bang for buck APO???

Aaaah, here we are question 1356.... and counting;)

Very much had settled to go for the Equinox 80mm APO but then....

I noticed for similar money there are triplet 80mm APOs that I was unaware of....

For example...

Meade series 5000 ED Triplet APO at around £650

or..

TS Triplet FPL-53 APO telescope 80/480 - 2" Crayford Refractor with dual speed focuser at around 650 Euros...

Bearing in mind I wish to 'push' the magnification envelope AND do photography also will the triplets be the way ahead??

I've a feeling they are probably better than the Equinox, but by how much I don't know... i.e. how significantly??

Thanks again,

Pete:icon_eek:

or...

Best bang for the buck is probably the Evostar 80ED (ED80) for £360. The longer focal length is better for high magnification, but pushing magnification is not the purpose of rich field apos of the 80mm class. Mak and SCT of larger aperture will do high magnification a lot better for a similar price.

Since you are going after imaging the money leftover can go towards buying a good flattener.

To answer your question "what is the best bang for your buck apo?"..

Answer: Celestron ED100R. (Oh, and there's one for sale on this forum right now (nothing to do with me, I have one!)

Next question?;)

Dave

To answer your question "what is the best bang for your buck apo?"..

Answer: Celestron ED100R. (Oh, and there's one for sale on this forum right now (nothing to do with me, I have one!)

Next question?:D

Dave

Sadly, as a new member I'm locked out of the for sale section for a month...;) It's a shame you can't bring 'references' from other forums that say I'm legit as I've been on some for years!:p

Pete.

Best bang for the buck is probably the Evostar 80ED (ED80) for £360. The longer focal length is better for high magnification, but pushing magnification is not the purpose of rich field apos of the 80mm class. Mak and SCT of larger aperture will do high magnification a lot better for a similar price.

Since you are going after imaging the money leftover can go towards buying a good flattener.

Thanks Keith;) I guess I was trying to say that the APO optics can be pushed relatively hard because of the optical quality and was not really comparing to scopes with huge focal lengths like the ones you mention. I certainly have my heart set on a refractor, I just wish it was a 120mm Takahishi!!! ;)

Pete.

There is a lot of competiton in this bit of the market and all three are excellent, from what I have seen. The ED80 is one of those classic scopes that performs out of its skin. I think Johninderby wrote a super favourable review of the TS scope as well. The Skywatcher will need a flattener but then it would between that and the TS for me. I would relegate the Meade (only just) because I think it might be prone to blue haloes on bright stars when imaging. The E100, great as it is for visual, is f10 and that is simply not an imaging focal ratio.

Hard to go wrong, I reckon.

Olly

The ED100 Celestron / Skywatchers are amazing for their cost. You can "push" the magnification a little more with them but, as usual, it's the observing conditions that will dictate the maximum that is useful.

Of course newtonians and other designs employing mirrors are "apos" as well of course ;)

The ED100 Celestron / Skywatchers are amazing for their cost. You can "push" the magnification a little more with them but, as usual, it's the observing conditions that will dictate the maximum that is useful.

Of course newtonians and other designs employing mirrors are "apos" as well of course ;)

Yes thanks John.... I got stuck in the what scope vortex for long enough:D Having managed to crawl out I don't want to be sucked back in again:eek:

Pete:happy3:

Thanks Keith;) I guess I was trying to say that the APO optics can be pushed relatively hard because of the optical quality and was not really comparing to scopes with huge focal lengths like the ones you mention. I certainly have my heart set on a refractor, I just wish it was a 120mm Takahishi!!! ;)

Pete.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I agree with the others on the used ED100

the c100ed has 900mm focal length so it's F9 - still slow for imaging but a lovely all around scope.

andrew

Thanks Andrew;)

I have been told there's one possibly for sale on the forum but I'm not sure about it as I certainly want to do photography. However, at the right price I bet it would be a great scope for anyone's arsenal.;)

I have a love of good optics and I can't help but lust after a precision instrument.... I think I would make a little bed for it with a little pillow....or is that a bit OTT:icon_eek:

Pete:D

Yes Pete one for sale here in lovely homemade case... hope you get to 50 posts soon! a number of types of scopes come up and you can get get much more for your money buying from a member.

andrew

Yes Pete one for sale here in lovely homemade case... hope you get to 50 posts soon! a number of types of scopes come up and you can get get much more for your money buying from a member.

andrew

Thanks Andrew...

I think I've got to be a member for a month too! Still, the way I'm going round in circles it shouldn't make too much difference.... give me another 10 years and I might have actually bought something:icon_eek:

I've never spent so much time reading reviews:eek: Actually, that's a lie....I have......often:o I tend to review things 'to the bone':D

Thanks Andrew...

I think I've got to be a member for a month too! Still, the way I'm going round in circles it shouldn't make too much difference.... give me another 10 years and I might have actually bought something:icon_eek:

I've never spent so much time reading reviews:eek: Actually, that's a lie....I have......often:o I tend to review things 'to the bone':D

There is so much choice these days - it's great but means that taking decisions on what to purchase can be a bit mind blowing ;)

It gets worse the larger the budget you have - if you want to get into the hobby for £200 then the choice is limited realistically to few options. If you have £1000 then there are

literally dozens of possibilities, each with their own pros and cons.

"Paralysis by Analysis" is a real risk these days, despite our best efforts to help :p

I think thats why the used equipment market is so active - if you buy something that's in decent nick, even if it turns out not to be quite right for you, you can usually pass it on with little or no loss.

the c100ed has 900mm focal length so it's F9 - still slow for imaging but a lovely all around scope.

andrew

Indeed, my mistake. Sorry about that but f9 is still not imaging territory.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
  • 3 months later...

Pretty sure that someone posted a report on one not long ago on SGL.

It will be a doublet and also FPL-51 glass.

At f/7 it should be pretty good as it is not being pushed too much, so I would expect no noticable CA unless you went looking for it on bright objects.

Say this as I see that WO are making their new Megrez 120 with FPL-51 glass at f/7.5. The glass is better and the longer f number is better also for CA reduction. Just wonder if they have stopped pushing glass properties to their limit and realised that a scope a bit longer makes for better viewing.

Have to say at £575 it is a damn good price for what you will get. It is a scope from China/Taiwan that is simply badged. Check Longperrng, Kunming Opt and Intane out, one of them make it, But most scopes come from that part of the world these days so don't let that worry you overly.

If you happen to be in Norfolk check Altair Astro out, think they have the same scopes, just in case it is nearer.

Go look at Equipment Reviews. The 102 is near the top of the posts. Seems good, very good.

Edited by ronin

The new WO Megrez 120 actually uses the very same objective with FPL-53 glass as the SkyWatcher 120ED. WO buys the objectives for this scope in from Synta.

John

Edited by johninderby

No idea which is the same as whatever others.

Point was that they have stopped trying to push glass to it's limits in the attempt to make a fast, usually f/5 scope, that even with FPL-53 would show some CA.

At f/7.5 the whole lens design is easier to get a greater absence of CA and so better visual images.

If the WO= Skywatecher = any others I don'y really care, wasn't saying one was better or worse then another.

APOs have a big rival - and I can see that fast newts are easier and cheaper to build than fast refractors. So I can see fast APO refractors becoming a rarer breed and the technology being used results in slower refractors.

APO research is more about materials and minerals rather than accuracy of the lens curvature. China's strength is more in building mass easy designs (usually with less R&D). So for imaging, Chinese scopes will probably do two things:

1. Slowly improve the mounts to allow for higher payloads at the ~1000-1400mm accuracy.

2. Optimise the easy focal lengths (fast newts and slower refractors) for those mounts and mass sell them.

My only concern is really choice in future. There's very little point in having 5 companies selling the same chinese scope with perhaps different fittings. This simply leads to slim margins for the resellers and no real R&D.

Edited by NickK

Someone did indeed post a first light on the Ikharus and took an image with it, a very convincing one. I was certainly impressed and I gather the Altair 4 inch has been reviewed in a magaine as well, though don't know which one.

Olly