Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LX200 Classic budget fine focusser options?

I'm looking to upgrade the ability to get fine focussing on my 8" LX200

classic for use with a Toucam Pro II and a DSI. I have a very tight

budget.

I'm exploring the following options.

Borg helical focuser S (#7315) = very cheap, possibly some clearnce issues when viewing near 90 degrees DEC

Peterson EZ-focus modification with Meade 1206 focusser = no problems

with clearance when viewing near 90 degrees DEC, but still image shift

when focussing and focus backlash.

Antares/GSO Crayford = price is okay and can retrofit motor, but clearance issues

Meade 1209 microfocusser = expensive + clearance issues

Robofocus = very expensive

Any thoughts or experiences on these or other budget focussing

solutions gratefully recieved.

Michael,

Of those options I've tried the following with my Intes and previously my LX6 10":

Peterson EZ-focus modification with Meade 1206 focusser = no problems Not a good option really other than it clears the forks and you don't need to touch the scope. But still left with all the inherent problems of the SCT focuser design. I threw mine over the neighbours garden I got so annoyed with it.

Antares/GSO Crayford = price is okay and can retrofit motor, but clearance issues You know my thoughts on this but you are right clearance would be an issue and perhaps weight too if you haven't got a balance system on the scope.

Meade 1209 microfocusser = expensive + clearance issues Beautiful bit of kit. Lower profile compared to the Antares. Has very limited focus travel, which always ran out at the very wrong moment......pretty annoying. But overall a nice expensive unit, although I did get mine for £100 secondhand

Borg helical focuser S (#7315) = very cheap, possibly some clearnce issues when viewing near 90 degrees DEC Not used one but heard good things. There are cheaper ones but this one has the all important feature of not turning the camera while focusing.

There's always the focus knob from Scopestuff, which sounds like the thing geppetto is recommending. Very cheap and could do the job.

Steve from First Light Optics is now the UK Moonlight dealer....they look to have a lower profile than the Antares or William Optics crayford focusers? But they are expensive!

Russ

Archived