SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Freezing feet!

Davie

Just back in after messing about in the garden with the telescope.

As mentioned in another thread our son had moved the finder scope so there wasn't much hope for doing much tonight but i went out and had a try of a few things.

Found Saturn by the fun means of pointing in the rough direction and sweeping back and forth, i know its rough but it worked :(. Tried all 3 lenses that the brother in law had with the scope (he is in New Zealand so doesn't need it) and the Barlow which i found made things worse but thats maybe just me. Managed to get the webcam hooked up but couldnt quite get it to focus so I'm off to look a little bit more into that, also the capture software I've got failed but at least I found out now rather than when I really wanted it to work!

All in all a good couple of hours playing outside in the freezing cold :)

i've had a few hours out tonight before the clouds rolled in once again.

managed to spend about an hour having my first look at jupiter which was awsome, was hoping to see saturn tonight too but cos of the clouds i'll put it on my to do list.

well glad i'm not the only one with numb extremities..

you can lose a lot of heat through the ground and insulation against it is essential - just ask anyone who camps in winter. Before having an obs i used old campamats (some people here use them as dew shields), they insulate very well and also will dry easily for the next time. They are also very cheap but the only real problem is making sure the tripod is still firmly secure to the ground and can't be knocked by the mats. Can't beat good quality footwear. Good to see that you are enjoying your viewing

I use size 11 snow boots ( I'm normally size 9 ) two pairs of thick "fishermen's"

socks, plus for really cold nights some single use chemical footwarmer insoles.

The insoles are 3 pairs for £1 at my local market and last for 2-3 hours.

Maplins do battery powered insoles, but I've never tried them.

Best regards, Ed.

Oversize wellies & couple of pairs thick socks. Easy to slip off wellies if you go into the house for something.

I'm thinking of trying some electrically heated clothing though. Starting at a bit over £22 for insoles from FLO. But rather more for the body warmer.

Popped into my local Maplins and as far as I saw they are selling off the 'heated clothing'...insoles were I believe £14.99...they had heated vests and gloves unsure what else they had in but what I saw was all clearance :p I picked up some hand warmer thing, like a hard gel with a metal disc in you crack and the pack heats up to 55deg is seconds...hope it works good ;) Oh it's re-usable too

Archived