SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first time at a dark site

stevelcfc

Well then the skies were definitely mag 7. I've passed through Marathon about 10 times in my life while driving out west. It is a day and a half drive from Algonquin park, so I was way off!

I know what you mean about watching planets/stars over the lake. Last fall I was observing late at night at Lake Huron and I watched Vega setting-about 3 degrees above the horizon-and it cast a long reflection on the the lake. So rare to see that because usually there is about 10-20 degrees of lake smudge above the horizon.

It is particularly rare for Lake Superior to be calm, so you really lucked out. Oops, I'll be quiet now. I could talk about the Great Lakes all day!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn’t It a bit scary being out there in a dark spot all by yourself

I would be looking over my shoulder all night

Would have to take the wife ,or maybe not LOL

Lol, I have been at dark sites on my own and it can be scary. Just north of Glasgow there's the Queen Elizabeth Forest. I've been there on my own at 2 in the morning, listening to the rustling and hooting in the shrubbery - spooky! Then when a deer jumps out in front of the car when I'm driving home, can make you jittery.

Martin

I had the same "OMG, it's full of stars ...!" experience one night visiting a relative at Gairloch in Scotland. On leaving the house, even before eyes were dark adapted, I was completely lost - the usual bright landmark stars being completely swamped by myriads of fainter ones never seen before from my usual suburban location. An awesome, unforgettable sight.

Adrian

Archived