Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Was this a possible light Echo in 1968 ?

Hi all

I was reading Patrick Moores Sky at Night 3 (published in 1970 SBN 563 10145 8) the other night and found this on page 17 'An Exploding Star'

8th July 1967 a nova is seen in the constellation of Delphinus and was reported by Mr G E D Alcock. Pictures of this can be found in Burnhams Cellestial hand book. and I think I found the star in the planetarium software Stellarium HP102190.

Now...15th April 1968 while Nova Delphinus is still visible a second Nova was detected in Vulpecula also by Mr Alcock but a curious description is given by Patrick Moore in that the star was very red and faded quickly.

Of course this was a while back and I can not find the location of Nova Vulpecula which makes me think it might have been a light Echo.

There is no real point to this except a bit of fun but if the description in stellarium is correct then I think that Nova Delphinus could shine again and if it did then so too Nova Vulpecula

Of course I could be totally wrong...not the first or last time, but I would sooner be happy than right.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

I will look again, it was more specifically this one that I was looking for but It is possible I missed it.

Just Looked again and found it. it seems it may have been in the 'coathanger'. it also seems like a good part of the sky to look for Nova.

The 1967 Nova was HR Del wasn't it? Now seen as a rather impressive nebula (A Catalog and Atlas of Cataclysmic Variables ; image on the left on this page).

Coords for 1968 Nova Vul (No 1 -- note there were two nova in Vulpecula in 1968) was 19:45:57 +27:02:48 (B1950) -- according to Osborn 1968, IAUC 2067. I also found this from Herbig, 1968, IBVS, 272, 1: "At the position of Nova Vul 1968 before the outburst was a faint double star of separation 6", p.a. 115d, and m_pg approximately 16.5 and 18. Differential measurement of a new direct photograph of the field against a Crossley negative taken in 1935 indicates that the prenova was the brighter (northwestern) star of this pair."

Archived