SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First ever widefield Astro shots

With a 300D fitted with a 55MM Pentax tuckmar f1.8 lens on a vixen dual driven GP. set to bulb with iso of 200. one without LPR.. the rest with. between 10 & 20 seconds.

All in all chuffed for a first go!!...

post-12654-133877524231_thumb.jpg

post-12654-133877524239_thumb.jpg

post-12654-133877524246_thumb.jpg

post-12654-133877524252_thumb.jpg

post-12654-13387752426_thumb.jpg

Nice one Rob you must be chuffed :)

What Aperture setting did you use on the lens ?..

I reckon it would benefit from being stopped down a stop or two .. Ok it will need longer exposures but will give better star shapes which would be really noticeable on the brighter stars

I have just been out trying to work out what time window I have for an Orion widefield ... and learning the sky again...

Billy...

Thanks guys.. I had the lens wide open at f1.8 and infinity set. I set the iso to 200

Still really try to get my head round the camera.. so sorry if thats a rubbish answer.

Cheers

Rob

Nicely done Rob.

Damn if ever there was image taken with and without a LPR fitler, your 1st and 2nd images REALLY show the benefits.

My setup is undriven.........i can only dream of taking 20 second exposures.

Now.....................if you take say 50 images at the same settings as you took the 2nd image on and stack them in DSS.............that Orion nebula will jump out at you.

Great stuff.

P.S.~~~what LRF are you using?

I have the standard SkyWatcher filter which i love but i have not done any serious imaging YET. I have all the right bits now to attach my camera to scope so am looking forward to getting some images.

The best advise i can give as a complete prat trying to use a DSLR is to try different combos of settings (exposure times,ISO settings etc) until you arrive at that one image that you really are happy with.

I think you have it there in the 2nd image. 3rd-4th image though have slightly darker sky. But the 2nd image to me looks more natural.

Hi Rob...

Nope its not a stupid answer at all...

Depending on the adaptor you have purchased the iris may or may not close down as you turn the aperture ring on the lens...

If it doesnt here will be a pin or lever that you will need to push in...(i use blu tack) .

Stopping it down to f2.8 or f3.5 should make a big improvement to star shapes on the brighter stars...

Billy...

Aha.. yep it turns fine. I'll stop it down a bit then.. I also have a 50mm CZ 2.8 lens.. so will give that a shot also.

Cheers for that Billy.. thanks for you guidance on that.

Rob

Aha.. yep it turns fine. I'll stop it down a bit then.. I also have a 50mm CZ 2.8 lens.. so will give that a shot also.

Cheers for that Billy.. thanks for you guidance on that.

Rob

When you rurn it does the iris close down in the lens? if it doesnt then the pin will need pushing alternatively the lens may have a M/A setting on it if it does set this to M

Just dug out a pic pf the lens and theres an auto manual setting "ring" behind (closer to the camera) set that to Manual

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/data/23/Super-Multi-Coated_TAKUMAR_55mm_F1_8.jpg

Billy...

I seriously do NOT understand the f settings on my camera.

I know how they relate to a scope but there is so much more on a camera to think about that i concentrate on the exposure time and ISO and whatever "f " it suggests to me i go with. I know i can change it but i dont.

Now i have the t-ring etc to attach a cam to scope i may start to learn more about the whole "f" settings.

On a camera with normal lenses the "f" setting is one of the variables in the exposure triangle and its the one thats normally used to "creatively" control the Depth of Field in a "terestrial" photograph - ocassionally you will need to adjust the ISO as well dependign on lighting conditions...

But as DP says no control once its on the scope - unless you use reducers or barlows/tele convertors...

Billy...

Apologies to Rob for an off topic reply in thread...

When you rurn it does the iris close down in the lens? if it doesnt then the pin will need pushing alternatively the lens may have a M/A setting on it if it does set this to M

Just dug out a pic pf the lens and theres an auto manual setting "ring" behind (closer to the camera) set that to Manual

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/data/23/Super-Multi-Coated_TAKUMAR_55mm_F1_8.jpg

Billy...

Thats it.. its set to M and I can indeed close the iris nice and smoothly.. I'll gi that a go next time out. :) many thanks

The irony being that, when attached to your scope, the f-setting becomes whatever the focal ratio of the scope is, and cannot be adjusted on the camera.

Indeed. One less blumming thing to worry about compared to fixed tripod photography.

I feel the "Dark Side" seduction strongly.

Archived