Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

astrokat

will i need a barlow!

may sell my barlow not sure yet though will it be much use with a 14" dob ive got a 28 16 and 7mm 82deg nivana ep's

thanks toby

I believe the 14 inch has 1600mm focal length so you have :-

28mm - 57X

16mm - 100X

7mm - 228X

A good range of magnifications, although you have a big gap between the 100X & 228X which could do with a 10mm (160X) or 9mm (177X) as a medium power for close-looks at galaxies and star clusters etc.

228X is about right for planetary observations when seeing conditions are steady although with such a large aperture you might find a higher magnification might be useful at times. I prefer to look at jupiter, saturn, mars and the moon at 300X with my 13.2 inch, as at 200X the images are so bright as to make fine detail difficult to see, this could be because my eyes are middle-aged though !

I also use 440X for viewing very close double stars, which takes patience as unstable sky conditions usually mean I have to wait for some time to steady momentarily and enable very close objects to be split. So the barlow you have could be useful for that, plus the moon can still look great at such a high power with a 14 inch.

thanks bud i think i will keep then for the planets i was not sure i it would be to much mag with a barlow inplace