Narrowband

Eyepiece question....

technofan

Here's a hypothetical question that I hope will help me to 'get it right' the first time around.....:)

If I bought an 80mm APO refractor and was allowed a Barlow plus 2 lenses only, what should I get??

Pre-requisits are for the best possible highest magnification moon images and another lens which experienced users feel is a 'must have'...

I don't want 'standard kit' quality but I'm looking for great optics without breaking the bank.

I would really appreciate a make and model, including the barlow (which must clearly be top quality too). This way I can look at the suggestions and figure out how much it will all cost.:confused:

I am an experienced amateur photographer but have no previous time with telescopes, in fact this will be my first!! Hence, I'd like to get it right....I've wasted lots of money on DSLR kit in the past (if only I'd known then what I know now) so I'm hoping to benefit from the 'pros' on the forum.

Thank you guys,

Pete.:(

Personally I might be be think of a Tele Vue Nagler 3mm-6mm zoom plus a 22mm Nagler Type 4 and a 13mm Tele Vue Ethos. That lot would cover low to high power pretty well. Rather pricey though at around a grand for the 3 items - but superb quality :)

Something to give ~120-140x magnification. An 80mm APO should take that without the image getting too poor.

As an APO tends to be around f/6 I would go for a wide angle 15-18mm.

Problem here is if the barlow is poor then what you see is poor. Also what barlow 2x, 3x, 5x ?

Something to give ~120-140x magnification. An 80mm APO should take that without the image getting too poor.

As an APO tends to be around f/6 I would go for a wide angle 15-18mm.

Problem here is if the barlow is poor then what you see is poor. Also what barlow 2x, 3x, 5x ?

Again, I can't speak from experience but I imagine the higher power from the barlow the more expense to get a good image. So I would think 3x at the most. I will take all the advice I can get here:D

Thanks,

Pete.:)

Personally I might be be think of a Tele Vue Nagler 3mm-6mm zoom plus a 22mm Nagler Type 4 and a 13mm Tele Vue Ethos. That lot would cover low to high power pretty well. Rather pricey though at around a grand for the 3 items - but superb quality :(

Mmmmm.... I think I need a lottery win first John:D

I would hope to keep each item below the £100 mark.... I'm thinking of the Skywatcher Equinox as the scope part.... although if someone offered me £3000 worth of 80mm refractor for £500 I would seriously think about it...:)

Pete:)

Mmmmm.... I think I need a lottery win first John:D

I would hope to keep each item below the £100 mark.... I'm thinking of the Skywatcher Equinox as the scope part.... although if someone offered me £3000 worth of 80mm refractor for £500 I would seriously think about it...:)

Pete:)

Sorry - you used phrases such as "best possible" and "top quality" so I took my steer from those ..... :(

You should be able to find decent quality items for around £100 apiece though ....

To avoid confusion.... although 'banter' is always a welcome challenge:D I'll try again....

Great optics at under £100 per item... That's a 2 or 3 times (I'll take advice) mag barlow plus a high magnification lens and another which is considered to be a must have for an Equinox 80mm APO refractor...

I would like very detailed, high mag lunar ability and something as a general purpose piece.... again top quality, without breaking the bank.:)

Please, please will folks recommend a make/model, I know camera lenses like the back of my hand but telescope gear is unknown territory for me:p

Cheers everyone,

Pete;)

Hi pete

Go with Tele Vue plossls you will not get better for your money or if you can push the boat out a bit or save a bit more go for the Tele Vue Radian last a life time and will serve you well let us all know what you end up with

Doug

Essex

Tele Vue Plossls or Baader Geniune Ortho's are probably about the best optical quality eyepieces you can get for under £100.

So the 8mm Tele Vue plossl + a Celestron Ultima 2x barlow lens + an 32mm Tele Vue plossl.

Each piece under £100. The the Equinox 80 these will give you 125x, 62.5x, 31.2x and 15.6x. The 32mm will also be showing you 3.2 degrees of sky which will fit in all but the largest deep sky objects.

I'd agree with John, great selection.

The Baader Genuine Orthos are great too, so you could consider them at the shorter Focal length (I have owned them all and the short ones hold image quality as well as the longer ones), and stay with the TV plossl 32mm and Ultima barlow, a great combination.

Total investment around £260 or so I reckon..

good luck

Dave

For around £100 you can get Radians which I think are great, or brand new Baader Hyperions for £95 (ish), or s/h Hyperion zoom Mk2. All work great in my 72mm refractor at 17mm, 12mm, 8mm, and 5mm :)

(The Baaders all have camera connectivity)

I'm glad that's of help Pete - it's difficult to know where to pitch things sometimes :)

Thanks John:)

It's been doing my brain cell in!! I've been pondering for weeks and going in circles....If only money wasn't an issue:icon_eek:

All things to those who wait....I'm having to be patient and keeping a constant eye on the usual 'sales sites' as well as the 'proper shops'... I am very close to pulling the trigger now though:D

Pete.

For around £100 you can get Radians which I think are great, or brand new Baader Hyperions for £95 (ish), or s/h Hyperion zoom Mk2. All work great in my 72mm refractor at 17mm, 12mm, 8mm, and 5mm :)

(The Baaders all have camera connectivity)

The camera connectivity sounds good.... I'm an avid 'tog' and this is really an extension of something I love to do combined with years of interest in looking up on those wonderful crystal clear nights:bino2:

Funnily enough this is similar to a question I was going to ask!

A couple of years ago I bought a set of 3 EPs + 2x barlow from Scopes 'n Skies. The Barlow is from Meade and the EPs are 6, 12.5 and 20mm. Views aren't too bad, but I suspect I could do better to get the best out of my Megrez 72! I've pondered over getting the Revelation set as I'd like to get some filters too, but all this is "on hold" until I get a decent mount - using the Meg on a camera tripod is OK for visual work, but somewhat challenging (to say the least) when trying photography! The scope + DSLR are at the limit of the tripod's weight capability and it's a devil of a job getting a target in the centre of the FOV! ;)

Funnily enough this is similar to a question I was going to ask!

A couple of years ago I bought a set of 3 EPs + 2x barlow from Scopes 'n Skies. The Barlow is from Meade and the EPs are 6, 12.5 and 20mm. Views aren't too bad, but I suspect I could do better to get the best out of my Megrez 72! I've pondered over getting the Revelation set as I'd like to get some filters too, but all this is "on hold" until I get a decent mount - using the Meg on a camera tripod is OK for visual work, but somewhat challenging (to say the least) when trying photography! The scope + DSLR are at the limit of the tripod's weight capability and it's a devil of a job getting a target in the centre of the FOV! ;)

I think you and I are in the same place but on a different timeline!! I have a manfrotto 055xpro tripod that's very sturdy for my camera work and will have to suffice as a temporary measure until I get a mount sorted. I was going to get a cheap vixen scope from the FLO clearance section but talked myself out of it because it's not what I want and would set me back unnecessarily...

I'm resigned to the fact that I will need to spend around £1000 to get started (lenses, mount, Equinox scope... un-foreseen extras). Which although not bad and certainly less than my D300s camera body, is still a lot of pennies so soon after Christmas.

Still I know where I'm heading now and I'm happy with the 'kit' I'm aiming for and grateful for the advice I've had with this lens thread:)

Pete.

Archived