Narrowband

Explorer 200P with EQ5 or HEQ5

citaylor

Hello. I have been eyeing up a new scope for astrophotograhy. Ive already got a Cannon 400d and someone has lent me a neximage ccd. My dilema is whether to get the Explorer 200P with the EQ5 SynScan Goto or with the HEQ5 SynScan Goto. There seems to be exactly £300 difference. Now, Im not likely to put anything else on the scope, except the tube and the camera, so what would you guys suggest I get?...£300 quid is half as much again, but I dont want to start my astrophotography and find that my images are blurry because Ive sold myself short on the mount.

Thanks a lot for any advice...

The 200P is almost too much for an EQ5 even for visual work - I would suggest the HEQ5 is the minimum for that size and weight of scope.

My own set up is 200P and SW80 guide scope on the HEQ5 which it seems to handle ok, even with the finder, telrad and camera attached. This is on a fixed permanent pier - not sure if it would be so stable on a tripod for instance.

The Synscan is probably the best option as you will no doubt progress to guiding for photography. With just a netbook or lappy, webcam and the free EQMOD software and a couple of wires to join all the bits together you will be ready to go. I found that even with buying a new lappy it was only £100 more than getting the full goto upgrade hand controller and I have enough computing capacity to make the set up pretty well future proof.

You passed on the HEQ5 and went for the NEQ6 !!! Blimey and I thought I had a dilemma. My pay cheque certainly doesnt stretch that far :)

What is the difference except for weight and price ?

(BTW Good luck with your sexy new kit - Im jealous)

I would personally get the heaviest mount you can afford in this case the HEQ5. Things start to add up when you consider what you will want to astrophotography - scope, camera (DSLR), guide scope and camera (webcam or CCD), etc etc

The best rule of thumb is to load your mount with about 3/4 of its capacity, you should be able to find weights and capacities etc on the web. Have a look at what you might want and add it all up to see.

Trust me I didnt take this decision lightly. I spent hours trying to justify.

For you its another £190. So if you can wait a month it will be worth it..

I did it as I will do a bit of astrophotography and knew that sooner rather than later the mount would be good enough for me.

I also know that If i ever want too sell it, It wont go for pennies.

Archived