Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20% off laptops

starstalker

I'd double check the price you're paying first off, nobody makes 20% profit on a laptop to be able to give that much discount honestly.

Re recommendations, any laptop you buy today will be powerful enough and more so don't worry there, my own personal experience is that Dell and Lenovo make good machines but everybody has their own ideas on that. Look at the spec, decide what you want it to do (no point going on lowest price if you find later it can't play those blue-rays you bought etc.) then go for the one that suits best at the best price.

Good advice from Steep there. I trust high street stores/supermarkets and their "sales" about as much as I'd trust a gorilla with my telescope. I'm not familiar with Lenovo machines but it is my experience too that Dell do good reliable machines. And you don't need top spec to run most astronomy applications.

Decide what you want it to do, find several machines that fit your requirements, then search the cheapest with your "required spec". Then go barter that down in price, or send in a friend who's good at negotiating, (for the price of a pint). :)

Choose a make and model but before buying go to google and search "<<make model here>> reviews" and look at the dedicated reviews websites only (the ones not trying to sell them to you). The sites at the very top of google are usually reviews from the large retail stores, avoid them. You quickly start to get a feel for how good the model is.

Matt

Lenovo are made by IBM, but branded to be a bit cheaper. I've got one for my 'home' laptop and it is very good.

The netbook was much cheaper from Tesco. Remember Tesco not only have bulk buying power, but they can screw suppliers down nice and tight. Plus, you can use your Clubcard vouchers as well (which have been doubled recently), hence I got mine at a very good price.

Thanks guys for a responce to which laptop to buy, I will only be using it for Astronomy, it will come in handy as I am about to get an astro society going here in Barton covering the North Lincolnshire area.

Will acquire one tomorrow as I will be in Hull. :)

Archived