SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

next telescope for astrophotography

I have shortlisted the Altair Astro 8" RC or the Skywatcher Equinox 120 as my next telescope for use in astrophotography. I am torn between the two!!! and so would like your opinion on the subject. It will go on a neq6 and be used with a canon dslr, with both solar system and dso in mind as targets.

The longer FL of the RC will need more guiding precision and would be about as long as I'd want to go on an EQ6. Both are quite slow. It comes down, I would say, to what image scale you want. The RC would capture more small galaxies at a pleasing scale, for instance, but be cramped on many nebulae. The other thing is diffraction spikes, which you either do or don't like. The issue for me is that I like to combine long and short FL images so the spikes would be a problem.

Not tempted by the MN190?

Olly

There are other things to consider besides just the optics. In the wind or with imperfect alignment or bad seeing I would go for the refractor. When the guiding is having an 'off day' (and it always can have them!) again the shorter focal length will score. But for more resolution on small targets, when all is going well, the RC ought to win. I have never used one but results look good. I do use a large refractor but more often on an EM200 than an EQ6.

I would just be slightly nervous about reliable guiding at 1.6 metres on an EQ6. It can certainly be done, but how consistently? I simply don't know.

Olly

thank you very much for all of your input, it has been most helpful. :) I am starting to side with the RC with a longer term view in mind. In about a year i will buy an upgrade mount. The equinox is a good safe bet, but only in the shorter term (for me). Since I have some time I will seek to try both via my local astronomical society, to see the views each can offer. I think that will sway me the most. Until then I will continue to look for more information as and where I find it. thanks again :(

Archived