SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimation?

Hi guys just a quick Q? When I purchase my scope, i'm going to have it delivered, has anybody had any problems with their scope being out of line due to it being in transit or bumped while being put into the delivery van? I've seen and read a bit about Collimation and it sounds a bit scary, and since im a complete novice i dont fancy tweeking and tuning something I don't understand.

Basically how will I know if it needs collimation?

don't get hung up about it, it took me months to pluck up the courage to do mine a few minutes and it was all done, its critical for the performance for your scope and consequently it sounds more difficult than it is. you only have to loosen and tighten a few screws, how hard can that be

I'm getting a Skywatcher Skyline 150p dobsonian

That's an F/8 scope I believe which makes collimation much easier than, say, an F/5. As newtonians get "slower" (ie: the F/ number increases) the "sweet spot" for collimation gets larger and therefore easier to find and hold.

Cheers Dai, alot of people on here have said how good the scope is, oh i'm Scott I was just answering Rowan46's post, sorry really should've been clearer on that. Thank you Jahmanson, it seems i've got an awful lot to learn, I can't wait :)

That is the reason I was advised to get the 150pl over the 150p. As it was easier for a novice like myself to keep collimated, as I believe the sweet spot is 8mm compared to just under 2mm for the 150p. I have been surprised at how well it is able to hold collimation and happy.

My scope is on an Eq mount and skywatcher do two versions of the 150p,the short one and the 150pl is the longer one, different lengths with different focal ratios. There is a little more to it than that, but covers the basics. And yes about the meaning of P.

That's an F/8 scope I believe which makes collimation much easier than, say, an F/5. As newtonians get "slower" (ie: the F/ number increases) the "sweet spot" for collimation gets larger and therefore easier to find and hold.

jahmanson is bang on, it's also a little easier on the wallet when it comes to eyepieces. Not a bad size in such that it will be portable enough for yourself, I know ur not a weakling :)

Catch ya laters,

Scott

Archived