Narrowband

Guiding equipment help

philip57

HI,

I have recently purchased the celestronc9.25 and cant wait to use it. I am just waiting my delivery of dew controls and some clear nights.

I have upgraded the finder with the celestron 50mm finderscope and brackets, and i have managed to get a new revelation crayford focuser from a fellow amateur astronomer.

Next step

GUIDING !!! completely new to me

I am thinking of purchasing the ADM MINI DOVETAIL SYSTEM with the 125mm rings and use my existing Skywatcher ED80 for guiding and using PHD and QHY5 camera.

Several questions:

1. There does not seem a great deal of room near the finderscope bracket to attach the ADM mini rail. Is it certain to fit on the scope next to the finder brackets

2.Am i better to use my existing SkywatcherED80 or buying the lighter weighted Star Travel ST80. My reason being that would the lighter scope be better as the balance/flexure would be better for astrophotography

3. Or would i be better to forget all the above and go for an off axis guider.

Philip

Hi again,

I used the ed80 for deep sky imaging but found it poor for planetary work, thats one of the reasons i purchased the celestron c9.25.

However i do want to do deep sky imaging with the celestron. Galaxies particularly.

My celestron is capable of fastar, which might be considered later when i see how others have coped with this. Looks as though it would be spectacular for photography f2, thats lightning fast!!!

HI Merlin,

Does the minirail and guidescope fit on though with the upgraded celestron50mm finderscope and bracket, not the standard 9 x 30mm supplied with the c9.25

On the front of the corrector plate it does say FASTAR compatible, so i am presuming it must be. I cant seem to find much feedback on that though in forums.

Philip

Are two counterweights enough for your setup. I have the same as you NEQ6 and c9.25.

I cant work out as well whether to go for the off axis guider ( recommended a lot for sct`s even though a bit more difficult finding stars to guide on ), or a guidescope but you keep reading problems could arise because of flexure between the two scopes. I am just concerned that if i went the piggyback route, the ED80 would give more flexure, than the STAR TRAVEL.

If anyone has the combination NEQ6, celestronc9.25 and Skywatcher ED80. I would be interested to know what they think as well

Philip

Yes the minirail fits alongside a larger finder.

I need three c/w for my set-up.

I'd try the ST80 type guiding first....if you're unhappy you can always get a s/h OAG for around 60gbp.

I'm pleased to hear you have a HD (Fastar version!) there was a lot of discussion on the C9.25 group about getting Fastar option on the older standard C9.25 - bottom line - you can't!

(Not sure that there are any/ many reducers available yet for the HD scopes...)

Archived