Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi folks!

mikeyscope

Well finally joined this forum ....been meaning to for ages and a cold cloudy night browsing the 'Practical Astronomy' website via a link there brought me here! :scratch:

Glad to be here and nice to see plenty familiar names. :sunny:

My name is Michael Dickson but just call me Mike or Mikey.

My interest is purely in film astrophotography both 35mm & 67 medium format. Afraid I've been suffering astrophotographers block this past year or so but hope to be back in action this year, hopefully going for higher power and higher resolution film images ....at least that's the plan..... :)

Anyway looking forward to contributing to this forum.

Mikey

Hi Mikey welcome to Stargazers.

Its good to have a dedicated film photographer on the forum.

BTW how's the new mount working out.

Last time i saw you (Kielder) you were just about to use it in anger. (please post up some of your results).

Have fun mate,

Hi Mikey, I'm about to embark on film imaging now, but I can imagine the difficulty. Post a link to any website you may have, or at least some of the photos you've been taking. I've jsut started with astronomy, and once I've acquired an 8" newt, I'll be trying out some prime focus with my minolta Dynax 505. I've already tried some moon shots, but I'm not expecting much as I had no Idea what exposure to use. Those photos should be here any day.

Anyway, I'll undoubtedly be asking your advice sometime soon!

WELCOME to SGL!!

Andrew

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

BTW how's the new mount working out.

Last time i saw you (Kielder) you were just about to use it in anger. (please post up some of your results).

Jamie ....thanks, its good to see you here. The mount I'm sure will do the job but as usual nothing is simple and had to get a mount plate adapter made in order to get the setup complete ....just waiting on some bolts. :)

Hi Mikey, I'm about to embark on film imaging now, but I can imagine the difficulty. Post a link to any website you may have, or at least some of the photos you've been taking.

Andrew ....doesn't sound like I can talk you out of film imaging, you certainly sound keen .......or just mad which helps if you enter the world of film astrophotography. :)

Afraid I don't have a website ....just a darkroom as I'm not great with computers so just print them. I will post a couple of oldies from way back when DSLR's were just in their infancy as soon as I get the hang of posting images here ....doh! :?

I wish you good luck with your first results! :lol:

Hi Mike, Welcome to SGL. Pentax 6x7 that was the stuff my dreams were made of years ago they were a cool £700-£800 just for the body In my days of photography 1974, Pentax with me were tops started with the KX 35mm fantastic do anything camera just could'nt get on with Nikon thought lens link was bad idea with them. Still i wont go on............Jeff.

How do :)

I tried film astrophotography a good few years ago - used the book Astrophotography by Micheal Covington (I think)

I did manage to get some good shots of the Moon, and was lucky to capture the Aurora Borealis. Other than that,

my attempts were just a load of squiggly lines on the prints - due to a dodgy GEM. Still got my Pentax SLR, collecting

dust in a cupboard somewhere....

Hi. Mikey,

film is still great, I used reels and reels of it just trying to get a passable picture of the moon.

I nearly succeeded once. Seriously though, when you look back at what David Malin accomplished with film, it still has a future.

In my humble humble opinion.

Barkis. :)

Archived