Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

hi guys

now ive got a tripod and and remote finally, ive been trying out different things with different lenses.

attached is a shot i took with my fisheye from just in my garden which i thought turned out alright but the rest of my shots didnt turn out too good

does anyone have any tips for fisheye images or is it better to stick to regular lenses?

post-23136-133877523761_thumb.jpg

I've never given photography a go but in my opinion that's a good pic! I like how the windows have a nice glow on the rest of the building and they complement the sky real nice.

it really supprised me when i saw it cause it was 11pm and totally black sky

its probably not that special but ive never took a photo like that and got a nice blue sky

i think it was but it was quite far off to the left of the picture.

i dont know if that would still effect it of not

Not too sure, I'm no photographer as I say but from pics my mates have done, they leave the shutter open and the light bleeds over. Just an uneducated guess :)

Really nice shot, I see you have caught some nice constallations there, Auriga right in the middle near the top with Capella really showing nicely, Orion directly underneath popping over the roof, coming over the chimney at the back you can see Gemini with its 2 main stars Castor and Pollux, to the right you have the Pleiades just under the tree branch. :)

i really do like tha pic expess of m45

iv been thinkin of tryin a fisheye for a while! uv made me wanna buy lens nw! :)

What lens and camera is this? I like it :)

i have a Nikon D60 and the lens is an 'AF fisheye nikkor 10.5mm'

all my other shots came out with an either really brown or grainy sky or the house would seem far too bright.

was just asking for tips becuase i was just playing around and didnt record my settings which i should have done.

so i know its possible to get nice pictures with that lens but i cant remember how

Nice Glass :)

I use a Sigma 10-20mm for my wider stuff you can get really wacky distortions in the starfield when shooting at these shorter FL's they really show up in Startrails...

Billy...

I like playing with fisheye lens when the time is right I love the distortion they give and as Billy commented they can create some stunning star trail images. If you can't remember the camera settings check the EXIF data in the original image

Edited by Photosbykev

thanks guys

for star trails is it better to do a stacked image or could you get away with a really long shutter with a fisheye?

Personally I shoot a lot of shorter exposures which allows me to control a lot of the LP problems and then use Startrails.exe to compile the subs and darks for the final image. Shooting shorter exposures, < 60 seconds, also reduces a lot of the noise seen if you go for say a 60-120 minute single exposure. You also have to allow for twice the exposure length in terms of battery life to ensure the automatic dark frame is complete before the battery dies.

Last big star trail I shot was 2000+ images taken over 6 hours lol

Edited by Photosbykev

jesus

im still yet to have a go at stacking

im waiting until i go out into the middle of the countryside so theres no/less light polution

2000 is a lot, i thought when i give it a try i'd do about 20 or 30 and that would be enough

how did your picture turn out?

jesus

im still yet to have a go at stacking

im waiting until i go out into the middle of the countryside so theres no/less light polution

2000 is a lot, i thought when i give it a try i'd do about 20 or 30 and that would be enough

how did your picture turn out?

It turned out quite nice :)

4971806381_6bbb9c8650_b.jpg

Just remember we are rotating about 15 degrees per hour so a one hour star trail only has a 15 degree trail. A couple of hours would, imo, start to produce a reasonable star trail.

Some thing like 200 one minute exposures would be very cool.

I posted my notes on the shoot here which maybe helpful http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/2010/08/31/penmon-point-lighthouse-2/

Edited by Photosbykev