Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fisheye shots

hi guys

now ive got a tripod and and remote finally, ive been trying out different things with different lenses.

attached is a shot i took with my fisheye from just in my garden which i thought turned out alright but the rest of my shots didnt turn out too good

does anyone have any tips for fisheye images or is it better to stick to regular lenses?

post-23136-133877523761_thumb.jpg

Really nice shot, I see you have caught some nice constallations there, Auriga right in the middle near the top with Capella really showing nicely, Orion directly underneath popping over the roof, coming over the chimney at the back you can see Gemini with its 2 main stars Castor and Pollux, to the right you have the Pleiades just under the tree branch. :)

i have a Nikon D60 and the lens is an 'AF fisheye nikkor 10.5mm'

all my other shots came out with an either really brown or grainy sky or the house would seem far too bright.

was just asking for tips becuase i was just playing around and didnt record my settings which i should have done.

so i know its possible to get nice pictures with that lens but i cant remember how

Personally I shoot a lot of shorter exposures which allows me to control a lot of the LP problems and then use Startrails.exe to compile the subs and darks for the final image. Shooting shorter exposures, < 60 seconds, also reduces a lot of the noise seen if you go for say a 60-120 minute single exposure. You also have to allow for twice the exposure length in terms of battery life to ensure the automatic dark frame is complete before the battery dies.

Last big star trail I shot was 2000+ images taken over 6 hours lol

jesus

im still yet to have a go at stacking

im waiting until i go out into the middle of the countryside so theres no/less light polution

2000 is a lot, i thought when i give it a try i'd do about 20 or 30 and that would be enough

how did your picture turn out?

jesus

im still yet to have a go at stacking

im waiting until i go out into the middle of the countryside so theres no/less light polution

2000 is a lot, i thought when i give it a try i'd do about 20 or 30 and that would be enough

how did your picture turn out?

It turned out quite nice :)

4971806381_6bbb9c8650_b.jpg

Just remember we are rotating about 15 degrees per hour so a one hour star trail only has a 15 degree trail. A couple of hours would, imo, start to produce a reasonable star trail.

Some thing like 200 one minute exposures would be very cool.

I posted my notes on the shoot here which maybe helpful http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/2010/08/31/penmon-point-lighthouse-2/

Archived