Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking back in time

r.t.swing

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, let me get this strait. We are closes to the point of the bang, than a galaxy 13 billion LY away. But when we look back in time (13 billion years only a short time since the Big bang we are actually looking the other way?

Haha yeah. Even though we are looking "forward", we are actually looking backwards in time.

Now my head hurts again.

I reguraly waffle on loads at dinner etc about the m31, andromeda galaxy and how its 2.52 million light years away. It's cool to think that because it's 141000 LY's across that the light from it's closest edge would have got here first. Waiting another 141k LY's would have got you the whole picture. ;) A bit like a galactic version of waiting for images to download when using a rather old modem.

I reguraly waffle on loads at dinner etc about the m31, andromeda galaxy and how its 2.52 million light years away. It's cool to think that because it's 141000 LY's across that the light from it's closest edge would have got here first. Waiting another 141k LY's would have got you the whole picture. ;) A bit like a galactic version of waiting for images to download when using a rather old modem.

might just be a grey smudge in my telescope but its the most fascinating smudge ive ever seen

Archived