Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bagged, Netted, Viewed?

Patbloke

Ok, I am totally addicted to this forum now... New hobby for me and I'm going for it... I used to spend ages online researching mobile phones and contracts - Why? I have no idea (I'm not mad and I do not own a bobble hat)...

Since recieving my Christmas gift of a Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P I have not looked back (looked up loads, but never back) Now can you help me with something as a bit of light relief from my astronomy studies...

I have learnt that some people work their way through finding many things in space and ticking them off when they find them... My simple question is what term do amatuer astronomers use when they have spotted, netted, bagged, viewed a target?

What do you use?

I use 'viewed'....though have been known to say 'got it!' in a loud and commanding voice ha ha!

Although there have been a few 'where is the damn thing'. in fact more often than not.

Looking for, not just finding the objects is great fun for me. Bit of a treasure hunt eh?

Steve

I shout my partners name to come over and look with excitement! - which is about the opposite of her reaction once she looks into the eyepiece.

Hah! I know that feeling!

I was getting "giddy" :) in the backyard the other week when I got my first good look at the moon at first quarter, really fabulous it looked too, craters and shadows and allsorts of stuff I could not stop gazing at. I shouted my wife out and first I got "but I've got my slippers on" then "brrrr it's cold Jimmy", then when she finally looked down the eyepiece all I got was "oh yeah".

"Bagged it" sounds good to me!

I was getting "giddy" :) in the backyard the other week when I got my first good look at the moon at first quarter, really fabulous it looked too, craters and shadows and allsorts of stuff I could not stop gazing at. I shouted my wife out and first I got "but I've got my slippers on" then "brrrr it's cold Jimmy", then when she finally looked down the eyepiece all I got was "oh yeah".

I've learned my lesson now - if Moons and Planets don't impress her I'll have to get a good photo of M42 instead. That'll no doubt get the response of "you spent that much on equipment for this photo..?"

"Bagged it" sounds good to me!

When I first saw Jupiter with my scope I called my partner and all she said was "thought it would be bigger than that !" to which I replied "it's about 500 million miles away, you wouldn't let me buy a proper observatory " at that she took the hump and went back to deadenders :(:D

I still say WOW or Yes get in there!

:) Funny stories... lovin it! I reckon 'Bagged' will do it for me... However, I'm looking forward to many nights where I shall get the urge to punch the sky and run around wherever I am pullin my shirt over my head and putting my arms out wide like a jumbo jet.

Happy nights!

Michael Wilkinson said "...Yes! Yes! Yes!! and then proceed to bounce around the garden a bit".

We live next door to someone like that but (and this is really strange) ... she doesn't have a telescope. Hmmmm.

I reckon it depends what it looks like -

if it's an unexpected stunner - woahhh!!

if I have been searching for a while - is that??.....ahhhh!! there is it.

generally though I have 'observed' it when I have seen it - this to me anyway means had a proper look.

Gotcha!! is my standard battle cry in the garden when I have just caught sight of something new. Alternatively I say "Yes! Yes! Yes!!" and then proceed to bounce around the garden a bit.

Yep, "gotcha" is my favorite as well, sometimes followed by an expletive if the object has been particulary difficult to find.:)

I`ve got an app on my Android phone for logging the Messiers, got a long way to go though!! Its a very addictive hobby and expensive!!!! Well it can be if you like all the best gear!!

T x

Would that be "messier list" ? Also available as a free app for the iphone :)

Usually it is something like "oh there it is", if it is a special event (supernova, occultation, difficult object) I go "WOW!!! and proceed to smile broadly and go on a bit of a high for quite a while and go on to annoy every single family member within the house by telling them about it in a really excited way ;)

If it is something spectacular I let out a load "WHOOOAAA!!!! at a level that would disturb many of the neighbours that are sleeping whilst I am observing.

Archived