SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

eq dir

mason

Hi,

i have a skywatcher eq 6 syntrek mount which i want to control through my laptop. i dont want to buy a synscan hand controller and have heard of a HitecAstro EQDIR adapter which can bypass the hand controller.

What i would like to know is, do you have to make any modification to the mounts circuits, or is it just plug and play?

any advice would bbe greatly recived.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the EQ6 pro connected with the Hitec EQDIR module to my laptop. The USB cable from the EQDIR module plugs into the laptop, and the other cable plugs into the mount. Check you get the right type. You then need ASCOM, Hitec drivers and EQMOD software to contol the mount.

Do not pay £40 for one of those connectors, make one yourself. They are neater and much cheaper. This is mine:

post-21918-13387752364_thumb.jpg

Parts list:

USB to TTL (5V I/O) Serial Cable FTDI (4 Way): £11.22

SnapLock DSub PlasticHoods : DSub Connectors : Maplin: £1.69

DSub Connectors : DSub Connectors : Maplin: £1.49

No modifications required to the mount, this cable plugs into the mount instead of the handset.

Cheers,

Chris

Do you even need syntrek for this? Just the EQ6, as it will still have the stepper moters?

The EQMOD supported mount list (EQMOD) lists the following EQ6 mounts:

EQ6 Pro

EQ6 Syntrek (No Synscan)

EQ6 with Synscan upgrade

I am not sure about a plain EQ6.

Plain EQ6 has different motors so you have to do (ie pay for) the synscan upgrade - see supported mount list in post above. Probably better to get the Syntrek then you can use the hand controller OR the "full" EQMOD set up - depending on what you want to do.

• 1 month later...
Do not pay £40 for one of those connectors, make one yourself. They are neater and much cheaper. This is mine:

[ATTACH]49774[/ATTACH]

Parts list:

USB to TTL (5V I/O) Serial Cable FTDI (4 Way): £11.22

SnapLock DSub PlasticHoods : DSub Connectors : Maplin: £1.69

DSub Connectors : DSub Connectors : Maplin: £1.49

No modifications required to the mount, this cable plugs into the mount instead of the handset.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris, sorry to resurface this thread, but wanted to ask how you were getting on with your cable.

it seems a really great solution but i'm confused as it's only a 4-way connection when the D-sub connector on the mount has connections at 6 pins in total (1,4,5,6,8 & 9)

How does that work...is it restricting what you can do at all?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Chris, sorry to resurface this thread, but wanted to ask how you were getting on with your cable.

it seems a really great solution but i'm confused as it's only a 4-way connection when the D-sub connector on the mount has connections at 6 pins in total (1,4,5,6,8 & 9)

How does that work...is it restricting what you can do at all?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

The cable has worked perfectly for many many hours, no restrictions at all.

The list below should make it obvious what is going on.

Pin 1: 12V output from mount - not required as the cable is powered from the USB port.

Pin 4: Signal Ground (Connected)

Pin 5: Signal Ground (Connected)

Pin 6: Data to mount (Connected)

Pin 8: 12V output from mount - not required as the cable is powered from the USB port.

Pin 9: Data from mount (Connected)

The 12V outputs are used to power the handset but are not required for the EQDIRECT cable.

Cheers,

Chris

cool that makes a little more sense now. I think the problem was just in my head. I'm trying to get the EQdir inside the mount and was considering making a board, but I guess these cables have the csame components but very very small ones and that's why it fits inside the cable....

Having seen the boxes for sale I think I had just assumed there must be something different going go.

will get the bits and get cracking I think....

Thanks again

I had a serial one made up by Chris YesYes, the build qulity is much better than the USB Hitech astro one i have, and its pure serial also a major plus imo as i dont like USB. a nice chunky box with flashing LED :hello2:

I personally would never mak anything like this myself as i dont have the stead hand for elctronics

Hi Michael,

The cable has worked perfectly for many many hours, no restrictions at all.

The list below should make it obvious what is going on.

Pin 1: 12V output from mount - not required as the cable is powered from the USB port.

Pin 4: Signal Ground (Connected)

Pin 5: Signal Ground (Connected)

Pin 6: Data to mount (Connected)

Pin 8: 12V output from mount - not required as the cable is powered from the USB port.

Pin 9: Data from mount (Connected)

The 12V outputs are used to power the handset but are not required for the EQDIRECT cable.

Cheers,

Chris

I quite fancy making one of these myself - I can wield a soldering iron. Just a dumb question, how do you connect the cable to the D-Sub? Do you have to cut off the plastic connector on the cable and solder the wires on? In which case, which wires go where? Or is there an easier way? I need enlightened!

I quite fancy making one of these myself - I can wield a soldering iron. Just a dumb question, how do you connect the cable to the D-Sub? Do you have to cut off the plastic connector on the cable and solder the wires on? In which case, which wires go where? Or is there an easier way? I need enlightened!

Yes, just cut off the supplied connector and solder on the D-Sub.

From here:

EQMOD

To create the EQDIRECT-USB all theat is needed is to connect a 9 way "D" type plug to the flying lead of the TTL232R. The connections are as follows:

Solder Pin 6 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Orange wire.

Solder Pin 9 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Yellow wire.

Solder Pins 4 & 5 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Black wire.

Cheers,

Chris

I had a serial one made up by Chris YesYes, the build qulity is much better than the USB Hitech astro one i have, and its pure serial also a major plus imo as i dont like USB. a nice chunky box with flashing LED :hello2:

I personally would never mak anything like this myself as i dont have the stead hand for elctronics

Thanks ! :hello2:

ST - yes you're right - I've made two of these leads - one for my old HEQ5 Pro using an old RJ45 network lead cut and soldered onto the TTL lead and one for my NEQ6 using a new D plug

Both have worked a treat using EQMOD without the need for a handcontroller.

You can make these leads for about £20.00 so I bought a SynTrek (non GoTo) EQ6 rather than an SynScan (GoTo) EQ6 and saved around £100.

I'd thoroughly recommend these leads

Steve

right got my usb cable today it has a black (ground) red (tx) blue (rx) and yellow (+5v) what i was wondering what pin do i connect the yellow one to is it pin 8 also do i make just the 4 connections or do i double up like it shows in the eqmod diagram.

Thank you

The +5V is not connected.

For the RJ45 version you only connect 3 wires:

Solder Pin 4 of the RJ45 to the Ground wire.

Solder Pin 5 of the RJ45 to the Rx wire.

Solder Pin 6 of the RJ45 to the Tx wire.

Job done!

Cheers,

Chris

Archived