SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binoculars or Eyepiece

Kreggurree

So some people might have noticed elsewhere on the forum that I was looking to get some accessories to get more out of my ST102 when I bring it to Prague. But I have managed to blag a DSLR meaning my pennies are tighter and at best I can afford an eyepiece and a star diagonal, certainly not the 2 eyepieces, x2 barlow and Diagonal that I would like.

Any way because of this I noticed how so many people love Binoculars, someone even said somewhere if you don't have any yet forget your next eyepiece and get some. Getting my scope from England to here is possible but a lot of effort, those EQ mounts are hefty, and I don't know how long I will living here, or how active amateur astronomers are and if I will be able to get out of the city as much as I hope.

So what are peoples thoughts on getting some 15x70 Binos instead of EP's and using them as my primary viewing for a while?

The portability could really help me to more astronomy. ie. easy to fit in hand luggage to get here initially, less effort to spontaneously head out, easy to take with me to training conferences and to camps( for work) which all happen to be in dark places. I can still turn up to sky parties with these and my dslr for wide field fun.

Without doubt a good option, pair of 15x70, a good tripod, I use a Velbon Sherpa for my bins, well built and very light, and you can use it with your camera as well. Exceedingly portable and the quickest "grab and go" around in my opinion.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks for the tripod tip, I was struggling to find ones with high enough weight allowance that aren't £200+ I will have to save for that but it will mean I get a better tripod for the camera too. Bonus.

Also have a quick look on FLO in the Binocular Accessories section, they have the Williams Optics tripod at £90 I've one of their scopes and that is very well built, if there tripods are up to the same standard I don't think you can go wrong. Just check with FLO, or search the net, as to max weight recommendation.

Cheers

Neill

I was going to suggest not spending anything and bringing what I have already before buying stuff, but then I discovered the Tripod (without EQ2 mount) will not fit into my hold luggage. So back to Binoculars thinking, or I thought if I am going to spend so much on Binos and Tripod why not look at some more portable scopes.

So what are thoughts on the Heritage 130 Flex Tube, does any one know how big the Dob. base is?

Or the SkyMax 90 Tabletop, thought it is a bit more dosh. (am I right in assuming that the ST80 would not be as good/useful)

Any other portables?

A hypothetical longer term plan could be to sell my 102mm Achro and have both of these I believe they would compliment one another well.

Archived