SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Equatorial Platform for Dobsonian Telescopes

Moonshane

I'm just confused that an EQ platform can cost under £100 but I've not asked my Dad for help yet, and it's the cheapest option. He's not into astronomy so I'll think we will struggle and fail :/ Like you said, it's hard to choose.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

obviously £100 does not include my 'labour time'. it took me about 20 hours maybe to make or more but assuming say £10 per hour, that's about £300 'cost' plus profit if I were making one which means that £445 seems about right for a commercial one I suppose.

It's a shame the commercial one's are quite expensive even though it works out in labour. It's the price I can't afford right now. I'd prepare to pay £200 - £300 for them but they seem to like there £100 profit :)

• 2 months later...

Hello - what a fantastic thread, and certainly one of the best on the subject. Do you have a set of formal 'plans' and a materials list? I'm comfortable with the math and (some of) the woodwork, but it would be nice to know exactly what motor? Tools required? Etc... does such a thing exist for your eqp?

Cheers -

FML

Cheers TN

the pwm controller was http://stargazerslounge.com/1705753-post53.html and the motor was a high torque 12v 4 rpm motor off ebay - there's lots of choices from the last time I looked.

The problem with plans (I don't have any and hoped the thread would replace them) is that every EQP is more or less unique for the scope it is made for. What you have to get your head around is the centre of gravity, the weight and the basic dimensions of the scope all affect the dimensions of the platform. It's less critical with the type I ended up with as you only need straight cuts and as long as the scope fits on then it will work.

You'd be able to make an EQP like mine (literally) with a drill, hand saw and some basic tools like screwdrivers etc. If you have access to a router your could do one with curved sectors but these are trickier to get right.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Agree with Red Dwarf on this one.

I don't make a habit of resurrecting old threads, but I have spent the day reading the old EQ platform threads on SGL and this one is easily the most useful to someone, like me, who wants to build this excellent upgrade to a dob.

So I wiil ;)

Archived