SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Revelation 15x70 - cannot get a single image!

Hi,

I have a pair of 8x42 Bushnell Legends which I can look through fine, they're great for astronomical use. Previously I have also owned a pair of Celestron 15x70 binos from Amazon but I found that I couldn't achieve a single image, always had a Venn diagram thing going on so I sent them back; people here said that they could have been knocked in transit and it may be possible to adjust them.

Just today I took delivery of a pair of very nice looking 15x70 Revelation binos from FLO in the hope that the Celestron ones were just faulty, but I get exactly the same effect with these as I did with the Celestrons, regardless of how much I try adjusting them or with or without my glasses on or the eye relief. I'm not sure if it's my eyes or the binos, and they're so big and heavy that to return them would leave me out of pocket by quite a lot so if there's any chance that I could fix them (if they have been knocked out of alignment) then I'd rather take that option. The focus works great, I can focus for each eye but obviously with the Venn diagram effect I cannot get proper binocular vision through them.

How can I tell if they are out of alignment, and how can I correct it? I notice there are a couple of screws at the end.

Dont touch anything and speak to the guys at FLO ... They say (and I have no reason to question it) that they check bins for collimation problems before sending them out.

Whatever you do dont start adjusting anything until after you have spoken to them as see what they have to say...

Billy...

First off, I agree with Billy, don't mess with them, speak to the guys at FLO.

What I would add though is that I sometimes think my 15x70 aren't "quite right" and might get a slight "Venn Diagram" (long time since I've heard that term!) but it's just down to a bit of trial an error. Getting the focus spot on, maybe not winding the eye relief all the way out, getting just the right angle between the two lenses. You may have already done this, if you have I apologise for egg sucking, perhaps try them out in daylight.

Cheers

Neil

P.S. And what I forget to say was I never these issues with my Nikon 10x50, might just be due to the extra mag

Just today I took delivery of a pair of very nice looking 15x70 Revelation binos from FLO in the hope that the Celestron ones were just faulty, but I get exactly the same effect with these as I did with the Celestrons, regardless of how much I try adjusting them or with or without my glasses on or the eye relief. I'm not sure if it's my eyes or the binos...

Interesting that you experienced the same problem with both 15x70 binoculars but the lower magnification Bushnell's are okay. Perhaps it is best that we have them back here for testing. Depending on what we find, and your preference, we could send a replacemant, arrange a refund or discuss other models. Please email us your order number and a suitable week-day for collection.

HTH,

Steve :)

I have tried them in daylight and the effect is actually worse than when looking at the stars, certainly not a heat issue I think.

The effect is like crossing your eyes until you see two images overlapping... makes any meaningful observing impossible (unless I close one eye, but that defeats the object and one of the reasons why I bought a telescope!) :)

I have sent an email to FLO and will likely send them back for examination by the experts. I expect it is probably just me though, the binos are probably fine.

It could be that the eye pieces do not go close enough together/far enough apart for your eyes. I often have problems with binoculars as they wont go close enough!

I thought it might be this when I had the Celestrons but when I compared my Bushnells to the Revelations just now, my Bushnell's eyepieces are actually slightly further apart and I can see through those fine. I wonder if it has anything to do with coatings... unlikely but you never know. The Bushnells are multi-coated everywhere with Bak4 Porro prisms, the Revelations are not multi-coated on the eyepieces from what I gather.

A very simple check of collimation is to look at a roof top 100yrds away and then slowly move your eyes away from the EP's. If there is a step in the image ie: the line of the roof is higher in the one ep than it is in the other, then there is a chance the collimation is out. There are 4 screws under the rubber grips that can be adjusted to collimate the prisms (difficult to do). Failing this the lenses may be out of collimation and this is an all together very difficult process to correct. If you have warranty on the bins then your best bet is to return them for a replacement and hope it was just mishandling by the courier.

SPACEBOY

Two things you might try; give them to someone else to confirm the phenomenon, for one. For the other, you have checked the independed focusser on the right hand barrel? This is the device for allowind individual adjustment for each eye. You probably have, but just checking...

Olly

Two things you might try; give them to someone else to confirm the phenomenon, for one. For the other, you have checked the independed focusser on the right hand barrel? This is the device for allowind individual adjustment for each eye. You probably have, but just checking...

Olly

Yep, focussed until I'm blue in the face. Unfortunately I don't have someone handy who's good with binoculars to be sure they're using them correctly.

Archived