Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

magic77

Heads up Maplin case offer!!

It has a cover , that was just for the photo

Astroimpulse, is that an Xbox 360 controller in the case on the top that I see? Can I enquire as to what that is for? I am gonna take a wild guess and say you don't lug your HDTV and Xbox out when you are imaging stuff? Or do you?

Nah, I'd get nothing done :)

It's to control the mount via EQMOD ;) But the way I have everything set I'll continue to use the mouse/pad mostly. But it's good to wirelessly control it if I'm standing up next to it.

Guys, I purchased one of these around 10 years ago to house my RC transmitter, batteries etc for my indoor helicopters.. still going strong and the handle has never fallen off :)

I'm off to my local maplin in the morning to get a couple for my astronomy gear and camera... at less than £20 be stupid no to !

Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for some replacement foam for my old Jessops cases, but these are cheaper than the replacement foam. It's annoying, but what do you do?

.............exactly , the foam is far more expsensive so I bought 3 cases !

Thanks for the heads up! I've been looking for some replacement foam for my old Jessops cases, but these are cheaper than the replacement foam. It's annoying, but what do you do?

Jessops sell replacement foam for their cases at 95 pence and £1.90 they must be clearing them dirt cheap due to dis-continuing the cases.

I put the dimensions etc in this thread a page or so back.

Steve

Bought 2 at the weekend.. one now contains the syscan unit and hand controller, plus a few additional eyepieces, the other my Netbook, DSLR and associated power cables. :)

Jessops sell replacement foam for their cases at 95 pence and £1.90 they must be clearing them dirt cheap due to dis-continuing the cases.

I already tried. It's on their site, but they have no stock. :)

I already tried. It's on their site, but they have no stock. :)

You have to select collect from store - hope you have a store nearby.

You have to select collect from store - hope you have a store nearby.

Collect from store is the only option they have on the foam. No stock at Sheffield Meadowhall, or anywhere within a reasonable distance.

Collect from store is the only option they have on the foam. No stock at Sheffield Meadowhall, or anywhere within a reasonable distance.

Sorry about that, nearest stock I found to you was Leeds. :)

Steve

Sorry about that, nearest stock I found to you was Leeds. ;)

Heh! It's just of the Headrow in Leeds - it'll cost me 10x more than it's worth just to park! :)

I bought one last week after seeing this post and the other "show us your ep cases" thread - its great, no more ep's all over the dining room or floor :)

Mine arrived today. The foam is much better than the Jessops case. Very happy.

Got myself one today for the 15x70 bin and cleaning kit.

72f7cc3c.jpg

Edited by Tac

Well here are my two...

case 1 - Netbook with PSU underneath, Olympus E500 DSLR and charger

case 2 - SynScan unit and hand controller, X-Cell eyepiece, SW eyepieces and NexImage CCD camera, with space to fit my collimator when I get paid at the end of the month :)

Hey I'm loving this thread, "compare my Maplins case to yours" kind of thing going on. I'm a bit of confused, some show the pluck foam stuff to be quite robust and others a bit wobbly and all over the place.

Does anyone have thoughts on organic matter from the foam condensing on optics over long time periods, there is a posh word for that I forget. I guess as long as the case gets opened from time to time to let the vapours escape.....I actually prefer this non water tight design to Peli cases.

Edited by jonstarrysky

Anyone know if you can fit an HEQ5 in the large case?

I'm a bit of confused, some show the pluck foam stuff to be quite robust and others a bit wobbly and all over the place.

Does anyone have thoughts on organic matter from the foam condensing on optics over long time periods, there is a posh word for that I forget. I guess as long as the case gets opened from time to time to let the vapours escape.....I actually prefer this non water tight design to Peli cases.

Had mine a few years, again on offer from Maplin. No problems with the pluck foam (or handle), I leave my eyepieces out to dry before putting them away and have a couple of bags of water absorbing crystals in the case just to be on the safe side.

I can confirm that the HEQ5 fits. It's quite tight, but it fits fine. :)

post-24246-133877539157_thumb.jpg

Nice *nods* :)

If only the EQ6 would have :(

Edited by astroimpulse

Nice *nods* :)

If only the EQ6 would have :(

There's a slightly larger "rugged" case for £35 would the EQ6 fit in that maybe?

There's a slightly larger "rugged" case for £35 would the EQ6 fit in that maybe?

It might do. I can't remember if I tried it or not but I tried a load before settling on the one I have. It's a beast of a thing (EQ6) :)

Edited by astroimpulse