SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Advice on Nikon D100

timefortea

Hi All,

Have just seen a second hand Nikon D100 body for sale for £100, would it be any use for astrowork on my skywatcher 150pl EQ3.2 set up. Apart from a T-ring would I need anything else? Would I need to get it modded and how would this improve its capability?

The Spec is:

• 6.1 effective megapixels rendering 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images
  • Compact and lightweight (weighs approx. 700g/24.7 oz.)
  • Low-noise CCD sensor
  • 3D Digital Matrix Image Control for precise exposure control, adaptive auto white balance and optimal color accuracy
  • High-performance built-in Speedlight with D-TTL flash control
  • Three color modes offered for different workflow environments
  • Five-Area Autofocus with Dynamic AF operation
  • High-speed image processing provided by new one-chip system LSI
  • Top shutter speed of 1/4,000 sec. and flash sync speed up to 1/180 sec.
  • Plug-and-play USB 1.1 interface for quick computer connection
  • On-Demand Grid Lines can be displayable in viewfinder
  • Custom Settings can be selectable in the LCD monitor
  • Compatible with CompactFlash™ cards Type I and Type II including 512 MB / 1 GB IBM MicroDrive™
  • Nikon View 5.1 software (supplied) enables easy transfer and viewing of images on your computer also includes rudimentary RAW file manipulation and conversion
  • Optional Nikon Capture 3 software for excellent image management and remote operation
  • Optional Multi Function Battery Pack MB-D100 accepts six 1.5V LR6 (AA-size alkaline) batteries or one or two Li-Ion batteries for extended shooting capability. Features voice memo recording/playback function, vertical shutter release button, Command and Sub Command Dials, AF start button and a 10-pin remote terminal.

Thanks for taking the time to plough through this

Many have used the D70 successfully and as it has the same sensor and virtually the same features, you should be OK. Have a look at Nikon vs Canon DSLR Cameras for Astrophotography lots of info on Dslrs. I wouldn't bother getting it modified at the moment. Learn the tricks and the black art of astro photography first as you may decide to go down another route re the camera as you gain experience.

Archie

Hi Ian,

I own a fair bit of Nikon gear. Digital and film. Also a few nice Nikon fit lenses so what I have to say pains me somewhat.

The D100 was built in 2001. Released in 2002. So where you see the words " Low noise CCD sensor " think 10 years out of date. If on the other hand you had said you already had one or could borrow then I would be up for giving you the lowdown on using it as many on here would.

If it's in good nick and you already have some lenses to fit £100 doesn't seem way over the top. Be aware they take work to get the best from them. Take a look at Namreg and Shibby on SGL to name but two. There are plenty more.

If you do try a punt at it you shouldn't loose a great amount on re selling.

The same applies to very old Canons. If I was in the market for a nice imaging DSLR I would try to stretch to a 400/450D Canon.

Dave

Archived