SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jan 18 Moon Mosaic

brianb

Another one from last week:

Moon-110118-0057-0119-FLTX2-mosaic20-small.jpg

2011 Jan 18, 0057 - 0119 UT. William Optics FLT 110, 2x Powermate, W29 (deep red) filter, Imaging Source DMK41 camera. 20 frame mosaic, 24% resize: full size version here (3350 x 3350 pixels, 747 Kb download size).

Apparent diameter 32.47 arc min. Colongitude 71.7 deg. Illumination 95.6%. Libration in latitude +00 deg 40 min; libration in longitude -06 deg 11 min. Altitude 48.7 deg.

Thanks guys ... I'm afraid I tend to treat the Moon as a "target of last resort"!

There's an interesting new technique I've tried on this last one, to get more detail in the terminator without washing out the detail in the rest of the disk. I think I can improve further but don't have time to try at the moment.

Are you going to spill the beans?

Made a moon with the same diameter & a smaller phase, selected that area, inverted selection with a large feather (selecting the terminator area), increased gamma in that area only ...

How much it took, taking all the frames to do this great moon?

Each of the 20 tiles was a stack of 250 from 1000 frames shot. So there's 20,000 frames (each 1280 x 960 pixels) in the image ... 24,576,000,000 bytes.

Shooting lots of frames keeps the noise down.

Made a moon with the same diameter & a smaller phase, selected that area, inverted selection with a large feather (selecting the terminator area), increased gamma in that area only ...

That's clever, and reassuring; I'm never sure if combining shots from different sessions counts as "cheating". I'm glad to hear it isn't!

Nice pic and taken on my birthday !!

Happy Birthday. :)

Archived