SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello, from cloudy Suffolk

SimonR

Well, I've already jumped into the forums without saying hello, so I had better put that right.

My interest in astronomy and all things space goes back at least to staying up late to watch the Apollo moon landings - that dates me (and perhaps even the Gemini flights which dates me even more, but I really don't remember Mercury). I've been watching the sky for many years on and off through all manner of strange instruments, binoculars to artillery gun sights.

I'm an artist, trained as a painter, but along the way, somehow, strangely, I picked up A-levels in maths, physics and electronics. I had a physics teacher who had a bit of a thing for geometrical optics, which has proven useful.

Two years ago I was on holiday in a small town in Arizona, about 30 miles from Tucson, actually not that far from Kitt Peak. The sky was so clear, really wonderful, and it re-sparked the old interest. At the same time I had moved out of London to somewhat less light polluted Suffolk. Now I have a proper telescope, a TAL 4" refractor. It's had some outings but until the weather clears testing is fairly meaningless, it's like trying out a new car in heavy traffic.

The TAL is on an EQ5 mount in its basic form, no electrics. I thought it would be best to put all the money into good optics and a steady mount, fancy stuff like a goto would have detracted from what's important and I know my way around the sky, by binoculars, fairly well. I might add electrics later, in the meantime I have ordered a few eyepieces.

My first project will be the Lunar 100.

Simon

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Simon, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, you have a very nice scope with good Russian optics, some like them so much they never part with them, with your experience I do not think it will be too long before you are adding a tracking motor.

John.

hello simon and welcome to sgl, but also welcome to the wonderful world of tal`s, you have got yourself a good scope and mount (i know as i have the same) the tal is a real planet killer and what it can do with lunar, well you will find out! clear skies to you

Hi

I feel I must apologise, I live in Harwich right on the border between Essex and Suffolk, and well erm....... my new scope arrived today so I think I may be to blame for the cloud.:)

Sorry

Steve:)

I feel I must apologise, I live in Harwich right on the border between Essex and Suffolk, and well erm....... my new scope arrived today so I think I may be to blame for the cloud.

According to the weather map the whole country is under cloud. I blame the BBC. Let's hope there are no repeats on Dave...

Archived