SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Changing my star pointer

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could help and advise me about swapping my "star pointer " for something that is more accurate.

My scope is a Celestron 130eq, which as you probably know is only a reasonably priced telescope, but the star pointer is terrible. The pointer is fixed and permanent but I am finding it very hard to use. When I do find my desired target I am happy with the results, but seem to struggle to locate specific targets.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I should or could do to remove this and replace it. If I can replce it, what would you reccomend ? :) ( baring in mind the value of my scope )

Many thanks Martin.

Have a look at "Telrad" finders. They are very popular, reasonably priced, and highly regarded. If you don't fix it permanently you can mount it alongside the star pointer and remove when you sell the scope for an upgrade :)

Hi Martin,

I also have one of these scopes and the finder is poor, you can unscrew the finder and it leaves the small base plate in situ.

You could as suggested get a Telrad finder these are superb to use and you can get additional bases for them so you can move them from one scope to another if you require.The 130EQ is optically quite a good scope which would benefit the addition of a Telrad.

HTH

John

Archived