Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Pollution: something you can do!

umadog

Just had those white led street lights installed round here (surrey). Council seem to have installed a mix of new orange ones and new white led.

- Both seem brighter than old sodium equivalents unfortunately

- OVerall havent seen any noticable effect on level of LP yet- but there have not been enough installed to make distinguisable difference

- they all have wireless antennas on top - Looking at vendors of wireless streetlight controllers they seem to form a wireless network between themselves. Guess the benefit is, with persuasion, the council may eventually dim lights at night post 10pm

Have noticed when it snows, really good way to assess level of LP in the area i.e. the white snow reflecting lights creates a pseudo-daytime glow effect. In rural areas barely noticable & stays dark, urban virtually turns to an orange-tinted daytime glow!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the reply ive just received from my e-mail...

"Thank you for responding to the invitation by the Minister for Decentralisation, the Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, to comment on the priorities and policies which should shape the National Planning Policy Framework.

Your contribution will be given careful consideration."

Hopefully if more take a few minutes to send one in we CAN make a positive difference to the future of amature astronomy in the UK.

I find it hard to believe the lack of response this thread is getting.

The biggest problem encountered here in the UK by Amature Astronomy is light pollution, and yet, here is a thread where we can ALL help do something positive about it, and yet no one hardly seems bothered!:)

Here is the response to my letter to the forward planning commitee :

"Thank you for responding to the invitation by the Minister for Decentralisation, the Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, to comment on the priorities and policies which should shape the National Planning Policy Framework.

Your contribution will be given careful consideration."

suppose at least it shows that it has been aknowledged, has anyone else had a more sattisfying reply ?

I don't see why more lighting ( buildings, carparks, open spaces etc. ) cannot be controlled via passive infra red detectors. It isn't as though this is new technology, and could be put to good use in so many situations where movement would activate the lighting IF required. PIR's could also be employed on some quieter roads with a chain reaction set-up instead of being on permanantly.

umadog, considering there are around 10500 SGL members, i think the response or should i say, lack of response, is pretty dismal.

I would have thought and hoped, there would have been hundreds acting on this information at the very least.

No doubt the message board over the next few months and years will be full of posters asking how best to flock their scopes, or how to build light screens, or which light pollution filter is the best to buy, etc etc, and yet we all have a chance to act in the best possible way by getting the root of the problem removed...Street lights! and people seem to want to do nothing about it!...very strange.

If i was a mod on SGL, i would ban everyone from posting who hasnt sent off an e-mail to ..........

planningframework@communities.gsi.gov.uk

but then, i am a bit draconian at times!! :confused::(

Time for a "Name and Shame em Sticky!!:)

It is a good thread and well done to umadog for starting it. But I don't think we need to have a go at people for not commenting on it.

I have not commented so it is assumed I am not bothered? In reality I have been campaigning for quite a while. I was so bothered about it that I called up Bob at BAA CfDS and offered to be a local officer for Shropshire. I hope you are a local officer too Mick, you sound like you have the passion to get involved.

julian, i assume humor isnt your strong point is it?.

Smilies like ==>:(:D:evil6:....are meant to show the thread was made with light hearted humor, although with a serious message to it obviously.

"I was so bothered about it that I called up Bob at BAA CfDS and offered to be a local officer for Shropshire. I hope you are a local officer too Mick, you sound like you have the passion to get involved. "

Julian, i suffer from a medical condition that prevents me from getting out of the house to become more involved in this issue, otherwise i most certainly would. The condition however doesnt stop me from sending an email or trying to whip up a bit of enthusiasm on an Astronomy message board, which at the end of the day, was to hopefully get a few hundred people from across the UK to send off that e-mail, which would probably do more for ALL our efforts put together than a single officer at a single location.

I will refrain from posting on this thread again and leave it to your good self to stir the emotions as you obviously have more passion about reducing light pollution than i have.:)

Come on now, guys, let's keep it friendly--we're all on the same side, after all! Whilst I'm glad the thread has got the attention that it has, I'd agree with Mick that more would be better. So if you've just stumbled onto here, please read the first message and do the deed!

Apologies, I am not very good at inserting :) symbols - I was taught to write before they existed. There was no bad feeling meant in what I wrote. I wasn't being ironic, I genuinely meant that you should get involved, and that your passion would genuinely be welcome and useful.

Being a local officer doesn't involve getting out and about (unless you really want to), it is literally answering emails from people with concerns about light pollution issues and sending email/letters to raise awareness. You can act as a local officer from your keyboard.

Please keep posting! :( I'd feel bad if I did anything to temper your enthusiasm. All the best.

Great thread, i've just seen it and will also send off an email.

I would encourage everyone to copy it to their local councillors and MPs. You can find their details easily online (BBC, local council websites, etc)

Also would be good to tweet people like Prof Cox et al to try and get them to raise the profile. With the success of the Beeb's SG Live we should strike whilst the iron is hot and and there is public interest in the stars...

If anyone has a large and active local observing group go to your local MP's surgery, anyone can attend. If we can find a friendly MP to take up the cause they could call for a short debate in parliament. Not likely to change anything in itself but the Minister would have to attend and speak to the subject.

Likewise a friendly MP could table a question or two on the subject if we helped to write it for them and the Govt department would have to respond.

All helps to raise the profile of the subject...

Should also ensure that everything is linked between the different astro organisations to maximise impact.

You may be surprised at levels of support with a well run campaign.

More than happy to help and support, I have a bit of form in this area...

Kieran

Thanks, Kieran, that's a nice idea. I'll send the letter, probably slightly modified, to my parent's MP. I'm in the US right now so, technically, I don't have a local MP at all. As it happens, climate change week is approach so I think we should leverage that. I've started a new thread on the topic. Let's see if we can get most of the MPs covered! Check out the new thread, people!

Theres no need for apologies Julian, i guess it just shows how much the emotion in us all is stirred into action whenever the subject of light pollution is mentioned.:(

I guess my replying has hoofed this thread back to the top of the board, so i think we've both contributed once more, in highlighting the chance for members to send off the e-mail!:):hello2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived