Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How big?

Afternoon all.

Just wondering, how big is the Skywatcher 200P Dob? By this I mean in total size of the scope, base included.

Also, how heavy?

I live 10 miles north of Nottingham so I am assuming light polution could be an issue, before I buy a scope, I`m now thinking about carting it around.

There are a few dark sky nights near me, just wondering if size/weight is going to be an issue?

Any skywatcher owners out there who could help?

All the best,

Daz.

Hi daz,

This is a link from FLO's website on the 200p dob, and it looks like it will stand about 1500mm or 1.5M tall including the base and be about 500mm diameter, thats just a guess...

Homepage - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Link to SW website...

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/product.php?id=51

Looks like it will weigh about 15KG

As for transporting it around, I have a 250P Dob, and its pretty easy to transport. You unscrew handles and remove the the scope from the base, and place it in the boot of your car.

Hope that helps, its very easy todo :)

Regards

Keiran

Thats fine, thanks. If you have a 250p and you get it in the boot then great (assuming your car is not an estate!!!!) :)

I have a rather boring Vauxhall Astra.

So what would you say, 2-3 minutes to seperate the scope from the base and stick it in the car?

Also, do you secure it down, I imagin it rolling around will do it no good!

Cheers.

When I had an Astra (and older one) I used to put the tube across the back seats, on a blanket with the seat belts restaining it, and the base laid on it's side in the boot, again with a blanket or two to stop it rolling around.

Taking the tube off the base and putting it back on is dead simple - just the 2 handles to unscrew then the tube just lifts off - 3 mins max I would say.

You will need to learn about collimation though - all that moving around will shift things a bit !.

Archived