Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

now that winter is nearly gone

star_chaser

whats it like for viewing in the spring /sum/aut (im very new to this only had the scope 2 months) .as i know it gets dark later is the summer so less night time viewing also is a bit warmer.i guess im just looking at the clouds hoping things will get better .

so whats your best time of year for viewing .and why

star

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
now that winter is nearly gone

hooray!!!!! about time too. Not enjoyed this winter at all. Not a single solitary good night for the entire autumn/winter. Will certainly go down as one of the worst periods i can remember. Poor transparency and the worst seeing imaginable.

Roll on Spring :)

Warmer nights, Saturn in the evening sky. Some fantastic deepsky objects. Still plenty of dark sky time throughout March/April/May. Things get a bit dodgy around June, with minimal dark skies (for us in the South). But some good dark skies again by late July and superb through August. And the return of the Milkyway.

Spring is an improvement IMO. Clear skies after a day of showers are always good. The night time temperitures are still cold but not so servere that it takes a bit of the enjoyment out of the experience (which I find in winter).

I would say between Mid May and Mid July my scope more or less goes on vacation! On May 15th Sunset is around 9pm at my location (you can add a good hour and half on to that for true darknes because twilight lasts longer in the summer months). As for June, Forget Deep sky! I only ever do bright planet viewing and moon viewing. Also maybe the odd night of looking at double stars.

My fav month of them all is August, wonderful milky way skies, countless intriguing objects, a good, reliable meteor shower and warm nights. :)

Matt

Due to the dire light polluted skies that I have - most of my imaging is in narrowband - I don't like the spring much as it's full of galaxies.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year... evening starting to draw in. Still have the summer constellations, but if you stay up very late you can be the first to see Orion again!

Ant

When the good weather finally arrives, i tend to camp every weekend in a field flying kites and chilling out. The field is in the middle of no where close to any light pollution, ony the planes approaching Gatwick, so the scope will be set up and should be nice to viewthe sky at night and have a beer or three!

im enjoying all the posts thank you. making me think about spring and clear nights .

oh well cloudy for now :)

on a side note what sites do you people use for cloud prediction i have been using the met office is there any more accurate sites.

cheers star

My fav month of them all is August, wonderful milky way skies, countless intriguing objects, a good, reliable meteor shower and warm nights. :)

August is great. But April takes the winners step for me.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year...

Autumn should be great in terms of dark skies and objects on show. But i can't think of a good autumn to be honest. Autumn i associate with the worst weather of the year. Really unstable skies, plenty of cloud, rain and wind....a shame really. Autumn 2010 was right up there with the worst of them.

im enjoying all the posts thank you. making me think about spring and clear nights .

oh well cloudy for now :)

on a side note what sites do you people use for cloud prediction i have been using the met office is there any more accurate sites.

cheers star

I personally use Metcheck.com - Global Weather Forecasts - [updated on 24 January 2011 at 22:00] - Weather Feeds - Live Data - Long Range Weather Forecasts. Can't tell how accurate it is yet, not long been using it, but it's definately worth checking out.

For me, as a relative beginner, 3 years so far, I am content just to be out if I can, I have only observed some objects a handfull of times at best, so I want to take any opportunity given to increase my knowledge and appreciation of the night sky, not too bothered about the cold etc the views keep me warm! :) but of course its so much more enjoyable not having to wrap up like a michelin man. :)

I quite like the winter. Orion has always been my favourite sight- M42, some tricky double stars to resolve and the nice flow up to the Pleiades and Hyades. Jupiter and the fascination of those moons. Getting out to observe at a reasonable time in the evening.

Still, looking forward to eing able to observe without freezing to death... and to the return of Saturn.

Well if you like deep Sky spring is the time when the galaxies in Virgo and Coma Berenices come up. I spent time hunting them a few years ago in my Meade ETX125 and i blogged about it here.

tbh I found the galaxies in my ETX rather dull, but when I slewed to M3 (or was it M5?) the globular cluster I was stunned. So there are treats at this time of year.

i also love August when sagittarius comes up. One of my faves is the Lagoon Nebula M8 which looks awesome in my scope. I can also see the Sag. Star Cloud and the branch of the Milky Way in Cygnus in summer.

Autumn is my favorite time of the year... evening starting to draw in. Still have the summer constellations, but if you stay up very late you can be the first to see Orion again!

Ant

ABSOLUTELY!!! :)

Winters here in Wisconsin can be beautifully clear, but devastatingly brutal as far as temperatures are concerned. To me, nothing's more enjoyable than a dusk-dawn session in the Autumn... no bugs, and a lovely preview of Winter's upcoming bounty. :(

Archived