SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrologers Taking a Swipe at Brian Cox

Stephen

If it hasn't already been noted, the sun spends the first half of December in the constellation of Opiuchus, which isn't even a zodiacal sign, in fact Venus is there right now.

Explain that, Mr. Astrologist.

They do have an answer for that, I believe. Something to do with it being their ball, so they can put it in whichever signs of the zodiac they choose and if that doesn't fit the facts then we're clearly don't understand what a complex business astrology is.

Something like that, anyhow.

James

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol Further evidence in the case against astrology - I just tried to google "astrology faq" to see if there were any explanations for the "discrepancies" we have mentioned above and my in work web filter blocked access to the sites because:

Reason: The category "Non-Traditional Religions and Occult and Folklore" is filtered.

QED! :)

There's a bit missing........:)

See??! If only he'd consulted the horoscope before doing that, I'm sure that under the starsign of Procrastinator it would have said "this is not a good time to be trying to do complicated rebuilds"

.... if that doesn't fit the facts then we're clearly don't understand what a complex business astrology is.

Something like that, anyhow.

James

I suspected that!

I'm sure that if I entered into an argument with an astrologer, they would just look at me pityingly and say, sagely, 'Poor you. There is so much that you don't understand.'

Heads, and bashing, and brick walls spring to mind.

It is about time astrologers looked at the galaxy as a three dimensional space and realised that the constellations are nothing more than a two dimensional picture from one point in space, i.e. the Earth.

Astrology is nothing more than Astronomy for the dim-witted.

Laughable.....next you'll try and tell me that the world ain't flat... :)

It is about time astrologers looked at the galaxy as a three dimensional space and realised that the constellations are nothing more than a two dimensional picture from one point in space, i.e. the Earth.

But the galaxy is an object in (at least) four dimensional space/time and the constellations are nothing more than a two dimensional picture from one point in space/time ... which makes things worse because of the precession of the Earth's axis.

Of course the stars influence the earth - without stars which no longer exist, the earth would not even be here, the overwhelming majority of its very atoms were made in the cores of massive stars. But the only astronomical objects which have significant effects on day-to-day life on the earth are the sun and the moon, through their radiant energy and through the tides which they raise on the seas.

Astrologers are silly.............They don't know their own "science" ( it must be science its and 'ology!!) ........The funniest thing for us astronomers, is that the astrologers have now "Discovered" a new 13th Zodiacal sign,, so where the hell has it been hiding for the last few millennia, all the previous ones are wrong, so if you were a Libra before you are now Virgo ............ what on earth!!! are they on, take a look guys some of the theories as to why, they are hilarious.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20110115/ts_dailybeast/11867_zodiacsignschangenoastrologistssay

Astrology is great. My stars said that something good or bad may possibly happen at some point during my life. Amazing how they make these incredible predictions. Spot on.

Most of them don't even make any attempt to sound credible. Derren Brown is much better.

I would like to play devil's advocate if I may, and just in case the astrologers have got it right and our opinions make us marked cards and we're all damned!!! Above I noticed written......

..."genuinely believe in what they do, or if they know its a load of tosh and are just scared that the gullible will find out and they have to get a proper job"........"not that they have an answer anyway just the ability to confuse some seriously deluded people"

- You could equally apply that to those eminent 'scientists' that are involved in proving climate change? In fact, whilst we're at it, could also apply it to all those soothsayers at the Met office! Science would have us believe many things that are then later contradicted or best forgotten about. Many important scientific discoveries have often be made by chance or by accident which says much about the scientific method of deduction and evidence-based means of discovery. I watched a Horizon programme recently that discussed the possibility of a multilayered universe. For all the evidence gained (and the money spent) what more do we really know about the universe and how it actually works. Wearing a white coat won't protect you from talking *%$£ no more than asking someone their date of birth. To be honest, I can't tell who the real shamans are anymore.

James

(now putting on his hard hat whilst digging himself in for the night!)

I would like to play devil's advocate if I may, and just in case the astrologers have got it right and our opinions make us marked cards and we're all damned!!! Above I noticed written......

..."genuinely believe in what they do, or if they know its a load of tosh and are just scared that the gullible will find out and they have to get a proper job"........"not that they have an answer anyway just the ability to confuse some seriously deluded people"

- You could equally apply that to those eminent 'scientists' that are involved in proving climate change? In fact, whilst we're at it, could also apply it to all those soothsayers at the Met office! Science would have us believe many things that are then later contradicted or best forgotten about. Many important scientific discoveries have often be made by chance or by accident which says much about the scientific method of deduction and evidence-based means of discovery. I watched a Horizon programme recently that discussed the possibility of a multilayered universe. For all the evidence gained (and the money spent) what more do we really know about the universe and how it actually works. Wearing a white coat won't protect you from talking *%$£ no more than asking someone their date of birth. To be honest, I can't tell who the real shamans are anymore.

James

(now putting on his hard hat whilst digging himself in for the night!)

The difference with science is they can support their assumptions to a lesser or greater degree. Astrologers have NEVER managed to conduct an independently verifiable test that they are right.

Not that I would like to offer an opinion one way or the other on climate change.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Neptune discovered by the fact that the orbit of Uranus wasn't quite what it was supposed to be, and calculations indicated that the perturbations were being caused by another, as yet undiscovered planet, which was then found where the predictions said it would be.

Surely then, the various astrological effects of the planet Uranus would also not have been what they were supposed to be, and the astrologers, using their various techniques, should have predicted the existence of Neptune, and where it was to be found.

Now, for the life of me, I can't understand why this didn't happen :)

Cheers

Rob :)

I know that many people think astrology is funny and harmless but it isn't. A friend of mine used to live in a part of shropshire where large numbers of "alternative therapists" live he contracted cancer and after months of chemotherapy was recommended an alternative therapist by a "friend". he was convinced by the therapist that the chemo was having an adverse effect on his healing and that crystals and chanting were the way forward. The placibo effect of a sympathetic ear is well documented and after a few sessions my friend felt better. He spent thousands of pounds on courses to learn chants and various other therapies, meditations etc before dying. i spoke to his wife at the funeral who was bitter about how these people exploited him especially as the caner had been starting to shrink. we may never know if the chemo would have cured him his faith in these people completely destroyed the chance of medical science working. But it strikes me these people play on the credulous and despairing. by the way astrology is one of the tools these people use to prop up their belief system its not funny its a tool used by charlatans at best at worst its used by people who really believe in it

Archived