Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Stephen

Astrologers Taking a Swipe at Brian Cox

hehe looking at the comments on the Guardian, almost no one defended the astrologers.

hehe looking at the comments on the Guardian, almost no one defended the astrologers.

You'd have to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic (or is a few planets short of a solar system more apt here?) to even contemplate trying to defend them :)

You would think the astrologers would have seen it coming.:)

ROFL :)

I think you have to be somewhat underemployed (in your scientific career) or rather vainglory

(in your personality) to give a d*mn what others (including astrologers) believe? :)

Edited by Macavity

Cox took a moment during his Wonders of the Solar System series to explain to the public that "astrology is a load of rubbish," a statement which pretty much echoes the scientific consensus on the matter, which says that, "astrology is a load of rubbish."

lol love it :)

The comments posted on the Guardian article are the most powerful indictment I think. This phrase used by the 1st commentor especially caught my eye: "....Somehow they got traction with the gullible...."

I think there are rather a lot of gullible people though, some in powerful positions. I've heard rumours that in the recent past astrological advice to certain government departments, including the Treasury, was engaged at the Tax Payers expense :)

Edited by John

Some of the comments are priceless.

This one made me smile... actually most of them did!!!

Astrology is utter nonsense.

But then I would say that, being a Gemini

As I would never watch an astrology program, what were they doing watching an astronomy one?

Did not famous leaders in the past consult astrologers and end up loosing the war?

Now where is my star chart?

Archie

I think I agreed more with the second comment:

"There is no need to balance a scientific view with a mythological one on a programme made about science. As it happens the BBC has plenty of broadcasting slots which are given over entirely to mythology..."

:)

Briliant stuff! They really don't have an answer, thats confirmed by all the responces to the ariticle, not that they have an answer anyway just the ability to confuse some seriously deluded people. Does the Guardian have a section for astrology? I bet so, they really should think about ditching it as should ALL newspapers, their continuing printing of the hokum that feeds the BELIEVERS in astrology is only based on selling more runs and making money.

The opening line of the Guardian article has also caught my eye:

"Professor Brian Cox and Dara O'Briain have unleashed the wrath of Britain's astrologers ....."

Just what form is "the wrath of Britain's astrologers" going to take ? - strikes ?, work to rule ?, ambiguous predictions ? (already in force !), deliberate mis-predictions even ? :)

Can't wait to see what they have planned :)

Well - I looked at some tea leaves in my morning cuppa today, and double checked with a pack of tarrot cards - and they both agreed - astrology is a lot of nonesense.

I may check the lay lines round my house tonight when I get home - just to be sure lol :)

Just what form is "the wrath of Britain's astrologers" going to take ? - strikes ?

Withholding their labour and delusional outpourings should be encouraged, I feel.

i've never been able to work out whether astrologers genuinely believe in what they do, or if they know it's a load of tosh and are just scared that the gullible will find out and they'll have to get a proper job.

Now if you'll excuse me I want to know what the cloud cover is going to be like at the weekend, so I'm off to look at some chicken entrails.

James

oooh, 'Feel my wrath' :)

I shall cast you down with an outlandish prediction of impending bad luck which shall befall you and 1/12 of the population this Thursday as Uranus passes into opposition with the rest of your body.

Sorry.....do I get banned for a bad Uranus joke?

Marko

Now if you'll excuse me I want to know what the cloud cover is going to be like at the weekend, so I'm off to look at some chicken entrails.

That's easy James...

from examing the ensamble parts from my deconstructed mount i can tell you that it will not be fully together and tuned before the weekend....

ergo, it will be clear! :)

post-17582-133877522846_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine is an ardent astrologer! We are talking down to the minute of birth here, star wheels, charts and algorithms....Looks very in depth and even scientific to a point and she believes that the predictions are infallible! Apart from this she's a very intelligent and articulate person!

Such a shame it's a load of ball axe.

That's easy James...

from examing the ensamble parts from my deconstructed mount i can tell you that it will not be fully together and tuned before the weekend....

ergo, it will be clear! :)

There's a bit missing........:)

I was watching a program over the weekend which explains that the sign of the zodiac which astrologers relate is matching with the time when the sun is in that particular constellation, but as all constellations are difference sizes its rubbish, the sun takes something like 48 days to get through some and 8 days for others. what are the astrologers going to do when the constellations change? or do you think they will even notice?

If it hasn't already been noted, the sun spends the first half of December in the constellation of Opiuchus, which isn't even a zodiacal sign, in fact Venus is there right now.

Explain that, Mr. Astrologist.

It is about time astrologers looked at the galaxy as a three dimensional space and realised that the constellations are nothing more than a two dimensional picture from one point in space, i.e. the Earth.

Astrology is nothing more than Astronomy for the dim-witted.