SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A grovelling Apology

Herishi

hmmmm where to start????? I suppose I'll start with the apologies then hopefully a little explanation for me recently taking leave of my senses.

Firstly, Mike P - Moderator

My apologies you were on the receiving end of some of my frustrations, well actually most of them, you did nothing to deserve this, so again I humbly apologise.

Secondly FLO - Supplier

Guys, as above really, wrong time wrong place really, I don't normally lose my rag but mounting problems led to just that.

Now to the explanation.

I placed an order for a Explorer 130PM with Pulsar optical..........

I know.

I was quite excited about placing my order as the scope I was after was "in stock available for immediate despatch" I paid the extra for next day delivery.

The following day............. no scope???????????

I called Pulsar and got a woman that explained that the scope was not currently in stock but was due in the following day. I pointed out that it was advertised as "in stock" on their website, to which she just replied that it wasn't her department, when I asked about the next day delivery charge being refunded, she made that sucking air through your teeth noise we all know comes before bad news, and said that it would delay my delivery. hmmmmmm by this point I was a little annoyed but I bit my tounge and thought I would just call them once it had arrived and get the refund then.

The following day I called again to check that the delivery was in and got a gentleman (loosely used definition of course) who advised that the scopes would not be in until the following week. I pointed out again that the website advertised the scope as "in stock available for immediate despatch" still and he said he would fix that.

Needless to say after reading about other peoples problem and the probles I faced I decided to cancel my order.

One thing I noticed after reading the posts about how bad Pulsar were was how well FLO were regarded.

I thought I would contact FLO, they responded to my questions about the 130pm with some advise about how unsuitable the motor was, so I decided to order the 130p and the correct EQ2 motor kit.

after placing the order I enquired about when the delivery would be made so I could advise the goods in department where I work that I was expecting a delivery, however this time I received no response, after a couple more emails with no response I thought there may be a problem, however I knew how busy the guys at FLO were.

This is where my impatience and concern after my last problems led my to get on the wrong side of FLO and then Mike P.Again I am really sorry guys.

anyway after my order with FLO got cancelled I did some looking round and decided to drop the motor requirement for now, this allowed to stretch to the Explorer 150P :-)

After the previous problems I decided to find a shop nearby that I could go to.

Altair Astro filled this requirement, well almost it's 85 miles away, but I was happy to drive ther if it meant I could actually get a scope.

I contacted them on friday about buying a 150p or maybe a 150pl, I was fairly sure on the 150p. Ian had one in stock we talked about going there or getting it sent....... I advised him I would let him know on saturday morning as it was already past when he should have closed.

Saturday morning I contacted Ian and advise him that I would be coming over to buy a scope and I would be there about 12:00.

After driving 50 miles Ian text me and told me he had sold the scope I was coming over to collect, he had also sold the 150pl!

By this point I had already travelled 50 miles and about 2 hours (The A140 is awful) and I was absolutley fuming!

Now I'm stuck I really don't know what to do I guess I'll keep trying to find a dealer to supply my scope and hope it all goes smoothly.

I just wanted to apologise to all I have offended.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No apology needed!

It's been a weird few weeks. Part of your problems are due to the BBC's Stargazing Live program. In January the demand for telescopes drops as the big rush is before Christmas.

Almost every importer has been caught with their pants down at a time when stocks and demand would normally be low - demand suddenly tripled.

We thought that we had a robust server, which was capable of handling pretty much anything (within reason) - but even we've had to move to a new server.

Glad you've decided to stick around. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Cheers

Ant

Herishi - I would second whats been said by ant. Normally suppliers in astronomy stock for Christmas and run their stock down over January. The BBC p[rohram drove this board nutty - I was signing in and finding what seemed like 10 pages of 'hell' messages from newbies. It was so saturating I just never bothered coming back to SGL until it calmed down a bit.

The dealers must be super suffering at a time when stock is run down all of a sudden they are getting 5x their normal customer calls (FLO posted a thing where they showed their website traffic and its up a huge amount - even my humble amatuer site has been getting pasted by so many viewers).

I think your just struggling here because of all of that - I would give the oredr to FLO and let them get it when they can. No one is going to be doing it any better.

It happens to us all at some time. No need for the apology but at least you've been decent enough to give one.

With regards as to what to do now. I would suggest you make contact with FLO again. As you know they are very well thought of and have excellent customer service. The problems with your previous order were beyond their control and you would have had the same issues anywhere else too. They know what they're talking about and are passionate about what they do.

With FLO if they have it in stock you will generally get it the next day and you won't have to pay extra for the privilege!

I have sent them a pm pointing to this post so hopefully they will see it, I would email them but as I mentioned before there seems to be problems somewhere between myself and FLO and they either don't get through to FLO or their reply can't get through to me.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for apologising, no harm done. I'm pleased you've decided to try again.

As everyone has said, it is a manic time and you have just been very unlucky. There probably won't be a quick fix on the purchase front, I suspect you'll have to wait till the slow boat from China docks. :)

Why not see if there are any astro societies in your part of the world and find out of they have a viewing session coming up. That would let you see some scopes in the flesh.

Mike

Hi I can understand your frustrantion. I ordered my scope in the new year and also got caught up in the "BBC rush". It took 9 days to get my scope from FLO and I had convinced myself that it would be next day from all I'd read on here! I knew they were busy from posts on here but after 2 e-mails without reply I started thinking "uh-oh". I phoned and left an answer phone msg and to be fair within a couple of hours Martin had e-mailed me apologising for delay assuring me I'd get it within next two days. The very next day it turned up and I haven't looked back.

I must admit I didn't think very highly of FLO when waiting for my scope, after all it seemed everyone else on SGL was getting their stuff next day, but given the workload they've had to cope with I take my hat off to them.:)

I'm sure if you were to re-order everything would work out fine.

EDIT*** I must be the slowest typer in the world! FLO hadn't replied when i started this msg and they beat me by 21 minuites!!****

FWIW I've just had a similar experience with the same company (I think I'm correct in saying that PO are the same as SnS). I would have lived with the delivery being a few days late, but was very frustrated by the exceptionally poor customer service and ended up cancelling my order. I think it really is out of order when they continue to advertise things as available for immediate shipping when they know they have no stock and won't for some time. OTOH, others seem to have found them excellent. It just seems to be the luck of the draw.

James

Herishi - I can relate to your frustration. I had problems in the new year ordering a rifle scope from Optics Warehouse, who I had been led to believe were a really good company. After calling them to find out why I hadn't received my order, they told me that the item in question wouldn't arrive with them until later in the week, despite being shown as "in stock" on their site. I find that to be really - REALLY - bad form, especially when a company has taken your money. I strongly believe that a company shouldn't take the money from your account until the item is in front of them, and (correct me if I'm wrong, anybody) it was my understanding that trading standards also hold that position.

So I told Optics Warehouse (also known as Scopes Direct) that I don't deal with companies that have such a policy, asked to cancel the order and won't deal with them again.

I applaud you for following the same standard in dealing with Pulsar. You've given me another reason not to go near them.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Looks like the road to recovery is being built.:):D

Your problems seemed to start when your expectations were raised only to be sadly let down. I, like many others can genuinely vouch for the level of service that FLO offers and they are also very generous and genuine with their advice. The quality control regarding products and I'm sure the prices are mainly out of the control of most retailers and that's why the service side of things is so important - and clearly problems can occur.

The main thing is that a scope has your name on it somewhere and that you will be able to participate in a great area of interest that's going to keep you busy!!! Whilst you're waiting, you could always ask some questions and join in with the general banter to be build your post count up to 50 posts, which along with 1 month's active membership will allow you access to the For Sale classifieds section which will come in handy when your attention turns to eyepieces etc.

Clear skies in the meantime and hope your scope arrives very soon!

James :)

Apologise? Why should you apologise? The service (lack of it) you have received is a poor advertisement for this hobby, in fact Altair Astro's performance goes beyond rude. Since they knew you were coming to collect the scope, it would have been basic courtesy to have checked with you before they sold it. Is it really that hard to make a phone call, they certainly had no problem texting you, having done the deed, which in itself was pretty gutless. I haven't dealt with them, and I certainly won't now.

Well said KenG!

I think customer service was lacking greatly in your situation, and i would of been as upset as you, with out a doubt! don't beat your self up about it.

But you also have been unlucky, I have in the last year ordered well over a thousand pounds worth of astro gear from various suppliers including most that you mentioned and some kind individuals here on the forum and (touch wood) can honestly say I havn't had a single problem.

Like others say....when you do get get your scope out and crack a view at somthing you will be overjoyed :)

Good luck with future purchases and in the hobby!

Michael

After driving 50 miles Ian text me and told me he had sold the scope I was coming over to collect, he had also sold the 150pl!

The scopes being out of stock etc is frustrating but as the others have said, Stargazing Live started a stampede for people buying scopes.

But have to admit, i would have been fuming too had i arranged to pick up a scope 85miles away and then 50miles and 2hrs in, get a call to say they sold it too someone else. Fuming wouldn't come close. That is truly dreadful!

Hi Steve, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, thanks for the heads up on Altair Astro, I had been talking to them of late, but the way they have treated you is diabolical, as they say go with the FLO, when you do receive your scope things will look up lol, but you really have had a tough time and you have not even put eye to eye piece yet, and of course you feel it will never end because your next problem will be cloud.

john.

Well I think I may have a Telescope arriving tomorrow :):):hello2:

I will wait and see, given my run of luck you never know what is going to happen.;)

Fingers crossed for tomorrow and I'll let you all know how I get on

Steve

Well I think I may have a Telescope arriving tomorrow :):):hello2:

I will wait and see, given my run of luck you never know what is going to happen.;)

Fingers crossed for tomorrow and I'll let you all know how I get on

Steve

Did you give FLO another go?

Archived