SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Decent NW areas?

Hi everyone,

Recently bought the Skywatcher Explorer 130p GOTO and I'm really enjoying some of the views it can give. However, the North West seems to be terrible for light pollution. You never seem to be any real distance from streetlights without trespassing! I was wondering if there is anyone here from Lancs/Merseyside who could recommend any local areas that offer good views. I'm not talking 'Chilean mountain-top' quality but just somewhere better than the average, brownish-orange skies we get round here :) I've heard Burscough is good but don't want to spend all night driving around looking for a dark-yet-safe, public-access spot...

Also as a side issue, I find the GOTO to be always just slightly out when slewing. I only need to tweak it a bit to find bright objects but for deeper sky stuff this is giving me problems. I know its an over-asked question but I can't seem to find the right answer!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Archived