SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

25x100 Binoculars vs A Telescope

I'm in a quandary.

My head is telling me that I should go for the big bins, because:

A) I'm not the most patient person, these would be easier to set up

:) I'm not very practical (the thought of collimating a dob scares the **** out of me)

C) I don't drive, so they would be easier to take to a dark sky site

But my heart says go for a telescope, because:

A) I'll see much more planetary detail

:) I'll be able to see more DSO's

C) I'll be able to get filters to negate the horrendous light pollution I suffer from in my garden

If I go for the bins, would I be able to make out any planetary detail, as my 15x70's only show Jupiter as a disc, you can't see any bands, and the one occasion I saw Saturn I could not make out the rings. If the 25x100's are capable of showing me more than just a disc, it may sway my decision.

All advise gratefully received.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John try and get a look through a set you will enjoy the very wide views,20x90,22x100 ,25x100, will all give you a sense of being out there in space, bins tend to handle l/p quite well, then you can sell on your choice of bins having had more chance to check out a suitable scope ,also some bins are threaded for filters, give FLO a ring and they will talk you through the choices,good luck its fun choosing,

Regards

Mike

Hi John, I think bins if you can get to darker skies. I am about to start doing the very thing although I do have reasonable dark skies at home. One important point on the bins, I took advice on the tripod/head combo as I knew I definately needed some sturdy set up to keep them steady.

Here's the link to were I got them from

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/c-tripods.htm

on seeing any detail, I am sure you get some pretty decent views on both Jupiter and Saturn as well as many other dso's not forgetting the Moon :)

I would think that the 25x100 Bins are going to be as difficult to transport to a dark site as the scope, they are quite heavy and will need a substantial mount to make the most of them.

What sort of object do you really want to observe, as this will also dictate the style of scope you get, your budget will also influence your choice.

Have a look through this, it may help.

Sky Publishing Corporation - Guide to Backyard Astronomy

I'd be surprised if big binocs would show planetary detail, but Jupiter's moons of course,

Saturn's Titan and phases of Venus will be seen, plus great for the moon.

They would be great for DSOs, star fields, but limited to low mags. You will still

need a solid mount for other than quick views, to get the best out of them.

I do think it's difficult to give advise, as what suits one person will quite genuinly

not suit another.

But big bins make for a simple portable outfit, that would be useful even if a scope

follows at a later date.

Best regards, Ed.

Edit : other advantages - no messing with collimation, as you've noted, no constant

worrying over wether your eyepieces set is the best, no cooldown problem.

However, as you dont drive, big bins plus mount would be iffy on a bus, maybe you

would be getting a lift to better skies ? HTH, Ed.

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply :)

My main objectives at the moment are to try and see some surface detail on Jupiter, Saturn's rings, and then to track down some galaxies and nebula's.

Am I asking too much, bearing in mind how useless I am at anything remotely requiring any sort of DIY skills? I know that a DOB would probably be the answer, but I also know that if I have any trouble collimating it, it will never be used, or worse, kicked around the garden :)

You can track down galaxies and nebula easily with your 15x70s on a dark site. Of course the level of detail will be much less then in a scope but 15x70s are enough to detect every single Messier.

As you already have a decent size binos I would get a scope. If I was living under heavy light pollution my choice would be a 5 or 6" SCT with goto. You can't really starhop when you only see a few stars. The SCT would give you the best views on planets, have enough aperture for good views of all Messiers under a dark sky and be somewhat portable if you ever want to take it to a better observing spot.

My main objectives at the moment are to try and see some surface detail on Jupiter, Saturn's rings :)

For surface detail on Jupiter, and Saturn's rings, you will need a

scope. No need to spend a fortune though, could be cheaper than

big bins plus mount, and not much less portable, depending on your

choice. How about a small Maksutov or good refractor, no messing

with collimation with those.

Best regards, Ed.

For surface detail on Jupiter, and Saturn's rings, you will need a

scope. No need to spend a fortune though, could be cheaper than

big bins plus mount, and not much less portable, depending on your

choice. How about a small Maksutov or good refractor, no messing

with collimation with those.

Best regards, Ed.

A small refractor does appeal to me, but what's the smallest you could go to see bands on Jupiter and Saturn's rings in very light polluted skies?

A small refractor does appeal to me, but what's the smallest you could go to see bands on Jupiter and Saturn's rings in very light polluted skies?

Well 50mm should be enough John, though for more lasting pleasure 100mm+ would be better in terms of seeing a bit of detail.

Just for the record, i've seen two bands on Jupiter & Saturns rings with 25x100 binos- but its a little more magnification you'll be wanting for the planets.

If you want an easy to use portable scope to take to a dark site(with no collimation to worry about), maybe consider the sky watcher 102 or 120 startavel's or the 102 or 127 skymax's as possibilities?

My head is telling me that I should go for the big bins, because:

But my heart says go for a telescope, because:

Since you're in an either-or situation, I'd say go for a telescope. I have a pair of 25x100's and they are BIG. Far too big to hand-hold, so you'll need something pretty hefty to mount them on (I use a parallelogram mount that I made myself). With that in mind, one of your pluses for bino's has gone away. :)

Another advantage of a telescope is the added versatility from being able to use different eyepieces for different occasions: low power ones for wide-field galaxy spotting, high powered ones for getting details on the planets. My 25x100's have a very wide field - ISTR about 3degrees, so they're not a lot of use for planets as the disc is so small.

Finally, a pair of binoculars are really not much different from two refractors glued together :) . Small refractors are sometimes knows as "grab and go" 'scopes, as there's nothing much you need to go to set them up - apart from pointing in the right direction and focusing.

Planets are among the least affected objects by light pollution.

A quality short focus 80mm apo refractor can show good planetary

detail, larger DSOs well, and lots more. Of course a larger scope

will show more, but will need a stronger mount, and you start to

lose portability.

Best regards, Ed.

Hi Pete, I have to agree with the commments given regarding an 80mm frac, I had my 1st view through one last December and was totally impressed with the views it presented of both the Moon and Jupiter, Paul Money from the Sky at Night mag did a talk and observation night and that was his choice of scope, Skywatcher 80 ED, no doubt he's got a few! :)

Thank you all again for your responses, it's given me plenty to think about. I didn't think I would be able to see vast amounts with a small refractor, I must have been blinded with aperture fever :), and I'm pleasantly surprised by the prices.

I've just been checking out the FLO website, and have been looking at the Skywatcher Startravel 120 (AZ3). Does anyone have any hands-on experience of this particular telescope they can share with me please?

Yes. What I have. It is a good sized scope, though it will show some colour fringes at high power so a 'fringe killer' filter will be needed.

The AZ3 is pretty solid, but when working at high elevations the mount will tend to slip. I got this mod (has | AZ-3 Mount Mod) and it now works really well with slow motion. I use a green laser and a 9x50 correct image finderscope and can locate pretty much anything my light polluted location will allow me to see. More flexible than big bins (I have those too), better all round. You can't use the bins at high elevations without having a rubber neck, with a diagonal on the scope you have no such issues.

Hope this helps

PEterW

If you already have 15x70 bins the 25x100s will not make a quantum change in your view. You will get more of the same, so to speak, and no planetary detail. I strongly suspect that a basic 4 inch refractor on alt az mount (to avoid the need to hump counterweights) would be lighter than the big bins and better for your poor neck!) But a 4 inch refractor will be fine at 200 times on the planets.

Olly

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it's really appreciated ;)

I think I may have finally made a decision :)

I'm looking seriously at a Skywatcher Startravel 120 refractor, and will also get a good tripod for the 15x70 bins I already have. Sorted :)

Thanks to everyone for their advice, it's really appreciated ;)

I think I may have finally made a decision :)

I'm looking seriously at a Skywatcher Startravel 120 refractor, and will also get a good tripod for the 15x70 bins I already have. Sorted :)

Excellent John, hope you see plenty of nice objects and have CLEAR SKIES! :)

Not exactly portable ... but fun all the same...

Billy...

The thinking behind it is that I'll get some good planetary views at home, and if an opportunity comes up to get to a good dark sky site I can just about carry the bins and a tripod. Not being able to drive does limit mu options, hence the thoughts behind a slightly larger 'scope at home, and keep with the 15x70 bins away from home.

Archived