Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Heads up: Philips SPC880 webcam prices

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgans do tend to take a while to deliver, mine have always turned up in the end. :)

Whats a "while" in earth time?.. Morgans charged my card over a week ago now.. always a tricky one deciding when its gone walkies or if you're just being impatient.... I guess I was spoiled with my next day delivery experience from FLO last week. ;)

No doubt looking at the forecast for the next week it'll turn up just as the rain hits.:)

I see supply and demand is having an effect. The parent company of Morgans are advertising the SPC880 webcam for nearly double the price on Ebay! wonder if thats why mine hasn't turned up yet? :)

PHILIPS USB WEBCAM SPC880 / SPC900 ASTRONOMY CAMERA on eBay (end time 26-Jan-11 07:47:22 GMT)

The first one I ordered turned up 2 days later, I then ordered a flashed version and this took nearer a week.

Might be worth giving them a call.

I ordered a couple on Friday last week and something went wrong with their website so the order failed to complete after my card had been charged. I called them straight away and received the cameras this morning.

James

Is this regarded as one of the better webcams or just one of the more affordable ones that is advised to start off with?

Well I believe its supposed to be the same/similar as the Neximage

NexImage (item #93712) / Photo & visual accessories / Accessories / Products / Celestron.com

some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've only tried a couple of old 5 plus year old webcams.. creative etc I had lying about, without much success so I do have higher hopes..

:) It seems morgans are limiting the cams to 3 per order... Im so

glad I ordered mine when they first appeared.. honestly cant see

them staying that cheap for much longer..:) ps ... when you flash the webcams

to the spc 900 firmware they are virtully the same as the neximage with out

all the fancy packaging ..

Edited by sengoksa

I see supply and demand is having an effect. The parent company of Morgans are advertising the SPC880 webcam for nearly double the price on Ebay! wonder if thats why mine hasn't turned up yet? :)

PHILIPS USB WEBCAM SPC880 / SPC900 ASTRONOMY CAMERA on eBay (end time 26-Jan-11 07:47:22 GMT)

I payed that for spc880 flashed to a 900 and eyepice adapter + postage

Well I believe its supposed to be the same/similar as the Neximage

NexImage (item #93712) / Photo & visual accessories / Accessories / Products / Celestron.com

some one will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've only tried a couple of old 5 plus year old webcams.. creative etc I had lying about, without much success so I do have higher hopes..

They are basically the same camera.

Anyone know why the webcams used in astrophotography mainly seem to be VGA are there no higher res options?

The small sensor, means you can get a much closer in field of view. The higher the resolution for the same pixel size, the larger the FOV. I'm not all that up on the pixel size aspects of it, but that's the basics.

These cameras are CCD based, instead of CMOS, and whilst that seems to be becoming far less important, at the time it made a big difference.

Ok.. seems like my order didn't go walkies... it hasn't shipped yet!

"In the next 3 working days" which really means maybe next week if I'm lucky then, I bet. Not everything was in stock.. yeah right and the big green "In stock" tick was showing against all the products when I ordered.. and every time I've checked the site in the past 2 weeks.. call me bitter and twisted they've had all that interest on my dosh all this time and I still say priority goes to the Ebay link at the start of this thread, if ya pays double... :(:confused:

/rant

I guess you lucky people who got yours in the last 2 weeks didn't order an adapter or filter with them as well!

Still, its a cloudy forecast for the foreseeable future so never mind... hope you are getting better skies.. :)

Every company has a blip in service now and again and its always a [removed word] when you are that blip. Have to say though that after a week or so I'd have e-mailed and if you didn't get a satisfactory response I'd have phoned.

Still as you say Cloud cover has been bad this past while so at least you've not missed 2 weeks of clear skies

Got it at last……..

I know you're all riveted by my moanings about Morgans and my long overdue SPC880's but I had to share the (almost) end of the saga to complete the thread didn't I …

Arrived home last night to find a card on the mat from City Link saying they'd returned my parcel back to the depot as no one there.. (well there would have been if it turned up when expected!)

So, I ring them up to arrange redelivery and find out I can go and collect it. I set off on the hour long drive to the depot… for the first time in ages its a fairly clear sky and all the time Jupiter is hanging up there teasing me as I speed on into the dark.. Oooh I think, I can try it out tonight at last…

After going through the 2 forms of identification routine I wait for what seems like ages whilst the guy disappears into the back of the depot for my now eagerly anticipated new toys.. Ooh I'm so excited, new toy.. new toy..

He comes back empty handed… "Errr computer says its been delivered"!!

As I go through the Mr Angry "where, who signed for it and why tell me to come and collect it then" routine.. my mobile goes.. yup.. you guessed.. it's the neighbour!!

The journey back is even more frustrating as I can't get back on the motorway from that side so I cut across country. It's very dark and the sky has now cleared and full of clear stars laid out before me... Grrrrr

An hour or so later I arrive back home to be presented with my parcel… marked.. 27th Jan, Express next day delivery!!!!! Arghhhhhh so thats nearly 2 weeks waiting for it to be despatched and a week just to get here by City Link Next Day!

So, I now have my new toy at last but I'm now too scared to plug it in as the whole thing surely must be jinxed!!!

Oh yes..the clear sky?

Jupiter had long set but I rushed outside, set up my scope.. as I finished alignment the wind started howling around me… great clouds come rolling in… and………. yup it's snowing!!!!

• 1 month later...