Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

She is an Astronomer.....

Astro_Baby

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Interesting topic, as the number of replies shows. I have always been more interested in the traditional male hobbies - (crashed my self built radio controlled glider first time out!) - Fortunately I have had more luck with the telescope so far. I have always loved tinkering with mechanical stuff, and have spent a lot of time polar aligning my GE mount in the observatory. Been interested in astronomy since seeing the moon through battered old binoculars about 20 years ago. My hubby has always encouraged me with my unusual hobbies, and I am pleased that he is now really interested in astrophotography and we can now share this brilliant hobby.:):)

Liz

My Dad got me into astronomy. He studied for a science degree when I was about 4 years old and used to teach me things about space even at that young age. Then I had a children's scope for Christmas when I was about 7.

I've always beenan inquisitive little so-and-so and love to know things. I've always felt like I never really 'started' astronomy, I've just grown up with it.

I love Meccano, lego and make-up in equal measure. Also physics and knitting.

:)

Really interesting thread.

I've always done what I want to, rather than what I should.

When out on a driving lessons (oh very many years ago), nail in tyre that went flat, I was the one changing it rather than the male instructor.

For Astronomy, it's like the other things I don't know (can't remember), who, how or why - I just enjoy them.

From a certain (now) "sister" [sic] subject. :headbang:

Celebrating women in particle physics March 8th!

The few [older] ones I once knew, now look... a fair bit older. Definitely a gender independent phenomena. :p

Stats suggest that Brian Cox might have a LITTLE more female competition now. Hey, the proportions [F/M] in the Atlas experiment have increased (monotonically!) to ~20% over the generations? ATLAS e-News | News :p

Aside: PP can be a labour-intensive, hands-on "mechanical" job - At least during experiment construction. Despite impressions from these images, women do hard-core, "hardware" things too. <G> However, once the "getting of hands dirty" phase is over, interested parties (males too) can change (increase!) quite a bit. LOL. Not sure if this is paralleled in astronomy, but it is somewhat universal in life? :)

It' a bit funny from my prospective as I grew up with my aunt's myth.

She could never explain to me easily what her job was about, she almost never looked through a telescope and, yes, "she is an astronomer".

So I'd say my angle is totally reversed from the common thinking... :)

Archived